Lagrangian mechanics and planetary formation

In summary, the problem of a time-dependent mass orbiting a star under the effect of a central force can be solved using Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics, and there are numerical methods available to solve for the equations of motion.
Catria
I am disappointed by my graduate-level classical mechanics course, and especially the treatment of Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics. Now, I scanned my notes and some crazy idea popped into my head, further fueling my discontent towards this course, because all the problems covered in class were with time-independent masses, even central-force problems.

I picture a planet in its early stages of formation as a central-force system whose mass is time-dependent so that [itex]\dot{m}\neq 0[/itex], orbiting about its star under the effect of a central force. Is the problem actually tractable with Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics (even numerically) or would it require usage of Hamilton-Jacobi or Newtonian mechanics?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The problem of a time-dependent mass orbiting a star under the effect of a central force is indeed tractable using Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics. This is due to the fact that any central-force system can be described by a Lagrangian, and that the mass of the system does not affect the functional form of the Lagrangian. The only difference is that the mass of the system will appear as a parameter in the Lagrangian, rather than as a variable. Therefore, it is still possible to use the same Hamiltonian and canonical equations of motion for the central-force system with a time-dependent mass.It is also possible to solve the problem numerically using a method such as the Runge-Kutta algorithm, which can be used to solve the equations of motion for a system with a time-dependent mass. Alternatively, one could use Hamilton-Jacobi or Newtonian mechanics to solve for the equations of motion, although this may be more complicated and less efficient for this particular problem.

Related to Lagrangian mechanics and planetary formation

1. What is Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of particles and systems. It is based on the principle of least action, where the motion of an object is determined by minimizing the action, which is a measure of the energy and time involved in the motion.

2. How does Lagrangian mechanics apply to planetary formation?

In planetary formation, Lagrangian mechanics is used to model the interactions between particles and their gravitational forces. This allows scientists to understand how planets and other celestial bodies form and evolve over time.

3. What are the advantages of using Lagrangian mechanics over other methods?

One of the main advantages of Lagrangian mechanics is its ability to handle complex systems with multiple interacting particles. It also provides a more intuitive understanding of the underlying physical principles involved in the motion of particles.

4. Can Lagrangian mechanics be used to study the formation of other celestial bodies besides planets?

Yes, Lagrangian mechanics can be applied to study the formation of various celestial bodies, such as moons, asteroids, and comets. It can also be used to study the dynamics of galaxies and other large-scale structures in the universe.

5. How does Lagrangian mechanics help us understand the formation of the solar system?

By using Lagrangian mechanics, scientists can model the early stages of the solar system's formation and understand how the planets, moons, and other objects interacted and evolved over time. This can provide insights into the conditions and processes that shaped our solar system into what it is today.