Lagrange multipliers (yes, again)

In summary, Homework Statement The Attempt at a SolutionI don't understand how he can say that x=0 is a solution in this one. Looking at the contours, there are no solutions for f if x=0.Homework EquationsThe Attempt at a SolutionI don't understand how he can say that x=0 is a solution in this one. Looking at the contours, there are no solutions for f if x=0.Homework EquationsThe Attempt at a SolutionI don't understand how he can say that x=0 is a solution in this one. Looking at the contours, there are no solutions for f if
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

agasfasd.png

f=xy^2

C: x^2 + y^2 = 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how he can say that x=0 is a solution in this one. Looking at the contours, there are no solutions for f if x=0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Feodalherren said:

Homework Statement

agasfasd.png

f=xy^2

C: x^2 + y^2 = 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how he can say that x=0 is a solution in this one. Looking at the contours, there are no solutions for f if x=0.

I also don't understand it. In fact, it is false. Points of the form ##(0 \pm \sqrt{3})## are neither maxima nor minima of f, because as ##x## increases through 0, f increases from negative to positive if ##y^2 = 3##: it looks like ##f = 3x## for fixed ## y = \pm \sqrt{3}##---that is, if we go along a line parallel to the x-axis. Since such a line is tangent to the constraint circle, the same type of behavior will happen if we go a small distance along the circle instead of its tangent line. In other words, points with x = 0 are neither local maxima nor minima in the constrained problem.

Anyway, points with x = 0 are not among those we get from the Lagrange multiplier method.

Likes 1 person
I thought it seemed suspicious, though I have to admit I didn't fully understand your explanation.

Feodalherren said:
I thought it seemed suspicious, though I have to admit I didn't fully understand your explanation.

Think about it, take your time, draw pictures, plug numbers into formulas, etc.

Function is not f = xy^2 but f = yx^2. Print is barely readable but teachers handwriting confirms.
I agree with teacher!

Langrange's method gives the two equations [itex]2xy= 2\lambda x[/itex] and [itex]x^2= 2\lambda y[/itex]. What I usually do in such a case is eliminate [itex]\lambda[/itex] by dividing one equation by the other, say dividing the first equation by the second, to get [itex]2xy/x^2= x/y[/itex] but since we cannot divide by 0, that is only valid if x and y are not 0. We need to check those separately. If x= 0, the first equation, [itex]2xy= 2\lambda x[/itex], is satisfied for all y. The second equation, [itex]x^2= 2\lambda y[/itex] is satisfied if y= 0 or [itex]\lambda= 0[/itex]. If both x and y are 0, the equation [itex]x^2+ y^2= 3[/itex] cannot be satisfied so that is NOT a solution. If x and [itex]\lambda[/itex] are 0, the equation [itex]x^2+ y^2= 3[/itex] becomes [itex]y^2= 3[/itex] so [itex](0, \sqrt{3})[/itex] and [itex](0, -\sqrt{3})[/itex] are valid solutions.

If y= 0, the equation [itex]x^2= \lambda y= 0[/itex] is satisfied only for x= 0 and we have already seen that (0, 0) does not satisfy [itex]x^2+ y^2= 3[/itex].

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
Function is not f = xy^2 but f = yx^2. Print is barely readable but teachers handwriting confirms.
I agree with teacher!

I use the OP's (wrong) description that f = xy^2. I will not bother to look at the OP's submitted messy and illegible photocopies, and since the OP cannot manage to submit correct problem descriptions (on more than one occasion) I will no longer respond to his postings.

Last edited:
Well excuse me for being human and making mistakes. Burn me at the the stake, right?

Thanks HallsOfIvy that's a great explanation!

No need to get burnt (both). I do think that if you manage to antagonize Ray by apparently repeating human errors, there is something there for you to pick up: at least you could promise to try to correctly formulate problem statements (*1) and check if you don't make it difficult for potential helpers (*2). I was on the wrong track for a while too.

(*1) it is human to make that kind of mistake and then overseeing subsequent pointers that it's the other way around. But you can learn from it.
(*2) different matter, more about attitude, meticulousness etc. From that one you can learn that investing a little time to do it completely right saves time and goodwill in the long run

All in good, constructive spirit

Personally I am a slow learner and I do repeat mistakes quite often. Hence the (moderate amount of) understanding sympathy.

Related to Lagrange multipliers (yes, again)

1. What are Lagrange multipliers and how do they work?

Lagrange multipliers are a mathematical tool used to solve optimization problems with constraints. They work by finding the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to one or more constraints.

2. When should I use Lagrange multipliers?

Lagrange multipliers are useful when trying to optimize a function subject to constraints. This can include problems in economics, physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. Can you explain the intuition behind Lagrange multipliers?

The intuition behind Lagrange multipliers is that at the maximum or minimum point of a function with constraints, the gradients of the function and the constraint are parallel. This allows us to set up and solve a system of equations using the Lagrange multiplier.

4. What are some common mistakes when using Lagrange multipliers?

Some common mistakes when using Lagrange multipliers include forgetting to include all constraints in the equation, not considering all possible solutions, and not checking if the solution is a maximum or minimum point.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Lagrange multipliers?

Yes, Lagrange multipliers have many real-life applications, such as maximizing profits in economics, optimizing production processes in engineering, and finding optimal paths in physics and robotics.