Lagrange multipliers open constraint

In summary, the necessary and sufficient conditions for a local min of a function at a stationary point are: 1) the function must be non-negative at the stationary point, and 2) the Lagrange multiplier must be nonzero.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

Find the maximum and minimum values of the function f(x, y) =49 − x^2 − y^2
subject to the constraint x + 3y = 10.

The Attempt at a Solution

∇f = <2x,2y>
∇g = <1,3>

∇f =λ∇g

2x = λ
2y = 3λ
2x = 2y/3
x = y/3

y/3 + 3y = 10
y = 3
x = 1

f(1,3) = 39

Now that is the only point I got, how should I find out whether it is a maximum/minimum/neither? I understand for closed constaints, like x^2 + y^2 =1, but here I don't understand what I am supposed to do. I know that it is a maximum, by looking at the answer key, but I want to understand the process of figuring it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
IF there is finite max or min, the Lagrange conditions hold there. If you find only a single point that satisfies Lagrange, that is telling you something.

In class, my professor found out if it was a max/min looking at the end behaviour, but I have no idea why it was like that. He said as
x -> inf, y -> -inf
x -> -inf, y-> inf
So f(1,3) is a maximum, and it has no minimum. This is what I don't really understand.

Panphobia said:
In class, my professor found out if it was a max/min looking at the end behaviour, but I have no idea why it was like that. He said as
x -> inf, y -> -inf
x -> -inf, y-> inf
So f(1,3) is a maximum, and it has no minimum. This is what I don't really understand.

Well, can you find feasible (x,y) values giving f < -1,000? f < -10,000? f < -1,000,000? etc.

Likes Panphobia
Ohhhhhh, so because f(x,y) when x gets really big will make f < 0, and the same for y getting really big f < 0, so f(1,3) has to be a maximum and there is no minimum because you can keep making f smaller, I understand, would this method work for all cases like this? Or is there a better way, like some kind of "official" check?

Last edited:
I outlined one way: the Lagrange conditions have a single solution, so there is only one point that could be a max or a min (and might not even be that---it could be a s addle point). In your example it is easy enough to check that you actually have a maximum, and since that is the only optimum, there cannot be a minimum. However, that might not mean in general that you get something unbounded below. If you had something like ##\max / \min f = 10 - e^{-x^2 - y^2}## and a constraint like the one in your question, you would have a finite minimum, but no maximum; nevertheless, the "supremum" would be at 10, so you have ##f \leq 10##, and you could come as close as you want to 10 without ever reaching it.

So you can use the second derivative test to check whether it is a saddle point or not correct?
D = fxxfyy - fyx^2
D < 0, saddle point

Panphobia said:
So you can use the second derivative test to check whether it is a saddle point or not correct?
D = fxxfyy - fyx^2
D < 0, saddle point

In an unconstrained problem, the second-order necessary conditions for a (local) min of ##f(x,y)## at the stationary point ##(x,y) = (x^*,y^*)## are:
[tex] f_{xx} \geq 0, \:f_{yy} \geq 0 \; \text{at} \; (x,y) = (x^*,y^*)\\
f_{xx} f_{yy} - f_{xy}^2 \geq 0 \; \text{at} \; (x,y) = (x^*,y^*) [/tex]
The second-order sufficient conditions for a strict (local) min at ##(x,y) = (x^*,y^*)## are as above, but with all inequalities being strict.

In a constrained problem with a linear constraint, necessary second-order conditions for a (local) min at ##(x^*,y^*)## positive semi-definiteness of the Hessian matrix
[tex] H_f (x^*,y^*) =\left. \pmatrix{ f_{xx} & f_{xy}\\f_{xy} & f_{yy}} \right|_{(x,y) = (x*^,y^*)} [/tex]
projected down into the tangent subspace of the constraint. A sufficient condition for a strict constrained local min is that we have positive-definiteness instead of semi-definiteness in the above, provided that the Lagrange multiplier is nonzero. (If the Lagrange multiplier is zero it is trickier).

For a constrained problem with a nonlinear constraint, you must replace the function f by the Lagrangian
[tex] L(x,y,\lambda^*) = f(x,y) - \lambda^* g(x,y) [/tex]
in the tests listed above. (That is, we look at the Hessian of the Lagrangian instead of the function f). Here, ##\lambda^*## is the value of the Lagrange multiplier ##\lambda## at the solution ##(x^*,y^*)##. Note that we fix ##\lambda## at the value ##\lambda^*##, but let ##(x,y)## vary around the point ##(x^*,y^*)##.

All this is a very lengthy way of saying that your suggested test above is not really correct in all its details.

Likes Panphobia
I didn't understand three quarters of what you posted, but I understand the result. I don't think I will need to know it in this much detail for the midterm though. Thanks for the explanation!

Related to Lagrange multipliers open constraint

1. What is the concept behind Lagrange multipliers with an open constraint?

Lagrange multipliers are a mathematical tool used to optimize a function subject to a constraint. In the case of an open constraint, there are no boundaries or limits on the solution space, allowing for potentially infinite solutions.

2. How do Lagrange multipliers with an open constraint differ from those with a closed constraint?

With a closed constraint, the solution space is limited by boundaries, while with an open constraint, there are no boundaries. This means that the optimal solution for an open constraint may not be unique, while for a closed constraint, there is typically a single optimal solution.

3. What types of problems can Lagrange multipliers with an open constraint be used for?

Lagrange multipliers with an open constraint can be used for a variety of problems, such as minimizing costs, maximizing profits, and optimizing resource allocation. They are commonly used in economics, engineering, and physics.

4. How do Lagrange multipliers with an open constraint handle non-linear functions?

Lagrange multipliers can handle non-linear functions by transforming the problem into a system of equations, which can then be solved using various mathematical techniques. The open constraint does not affect the ability to handle non-linear functions.

5. Can Lagrange multipliers with an open constraint be used for problems with multiple constraints?

Yes, Lagrange multipliers can be used for problems with multiple constraints, including an open constraint. In these cases, each constraint would have its own Lagrange multiplier, and the solutions would need to satisfy all of the constraints simultaneously.