Lagrange Multipliers: Deriving EOM & Conditions for Contact Loss

In summary: L} = -k(t) \frac{df}{dx} \frac{dx}{dt} + V(x,y) (where \tilde{X} = \frac{dX}{dt})This concludes the solution. In summary, the bead would lose contact with the surface when dy/dt is greater (less negative) than df(x)/dt.
ct1993

Homework Statement

An object of mass m, and constrained to the x-y plane, travels frictionlessly along a curve f(x), while experiencing a gravitational force, m*g. Starting with the Lagrangian for the system and using the method of Lagrange multipliers, derive the equations of motion for the bead, and then derive the condition under which the bead would lose contact with the surface

Homework Equations

L=T-V, as well as several other

The Attempt at a Solution

T=.5*m*v^2
=>.5*m*((dx/dt)^2)+((dy/dt)^2)
V=m*g*y
=>m*g*f(x) (When the object is on the curve)
L=.5*m*((dx/dt)^2)+((dy/dt)^2)+m*g*f(x)

I think I'm correct up to this point, but I'm not sure how to apply Lagrange multipliers to the Lagrangian and reduce to the equations of motion. Also, I know intuitively that the object would lose contact with the surface when dy/dt is greater (less negative) than df(x)/dt, but I have no idea how I would find this condition using Lagrangian mechanics. If someone could help, I would be really greatful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lagrange multipliers are used to solve variational problems with constraints. In classical mechanics, there is a one to one correspondence between the Lagrange multiplier and the constraining force. What part exactly are you having trouble with? Do you know how to use Lagrange multipliers in general?

Orodruin said:
Lagrange multipliers are used to solve variational problems with constraints. In classical mechanics, there is a one to one correspondence between the Lagrange multiplier and the constraining force. What part exactly are you having trouble with? Do you know how to use Lagrange multipliers in general?
I believe the constraining equation is 0 = f(x) - y and that the condition when the bead leaves the surface is a condition which cause it not to be true. Using that constraining equation, I think the new Lagrangian would be L=.5*m*((dx/dt)^2)+((dy/dt)^2)+m*g*f(x)-k(f(x)-y) where k is the multiplier. I would then set the condition such that the gradient of the new Lagrangian is 0, which means dL/dx=0=m*g*df/dx-k*df/dx, dL/dy=0=m*g-k, and dL/dk=0=f(x)-k. I'm not sure if I did that right and I have no idea where I would go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

ct1993 said:
I believe the constraining equation is 0 = f(x) - y and that the condition when the bead leaves the surface is a condition which cause it not to be true. Using that constraining equation, I think the new Lagrangian would be L=.5*m*((dx/dt)^2)+((dy/dt)^2)+m*g*f(x)-k(f(x)-y) where k is the multiplier. I would then set the condition such that the gradient of the new Lagrangian is 0, which means dL/dx=0=m*g*df/dx-k*df/dx, dL/dy=0=m*g-k, and dL/dk=0=f(x)-k. I'm not sure if I did that right and I have no idea where I would go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

You have an original Lagrangian: [itex]L = \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}^2 + \frac{1}{2} m \dot{y}^2 -V(x,y)[/itex] (where [itex]\dot{X } = \frac{dX}{dt}[/itex])

You have a constraint: [itex]f(x) - y = 0[/itex]. What's better for Lagrangian approach is the time derivative of this:

[itex]\frac{d}{dt} (f(x) - y) = \frac{df}{dx} \frac{dx}{dt} - \frac{dy}{dt} = f' \dot{x} - \dot{y}[/itex] (where [itex]f' = \frac{df}{dx}[/itex]).

At this point, we can insert the lagrange multiplier [itex]k(t)[/itex]: (Note: it's a function of [itex]t[/itex], not a constant)

[itex]\tilde{L} = L - k(t) (f' \dot{x} - \dot{y}) [/itex]

Now, use the usual Lagrangian equations of motion with the new Lagrangian [itex]\tilde{L}[/itex].

Related to Lagrange Multipliers: Deriving EOM & Conditions for Contact Loss

1. What are Lagrange multipliers and how are they used in physics?

Lagrange multipliers are a mathematical tool used to find extrema of a function subject to a set of constraints. In physics, they are used to find the equations of motion for a system by taking into account all of the constraints that the system must satisfy.

2. How do you derive the equations of motion using Lagrange multipliers?

To derive the equations of motion using Lagrange multipliers, you start by writing the Lagrangian function, which is the difference between the kinetic and potential energies of the system. Then, you use the method of Lagrange multipliers to incorporate any constraints into the Lagrangian, and finally, you use the Euler-Lagrange equations to solve for the equations of motion.

3. What are the conditions for contact loss in a system?

The conditions for contact loss in a system are the points at which the Lagrange multipliers become infinite. These points correspond to the points where the constraints are no longer satisfied, and therefore, contact is lost between the objects in the system.

4. How can Lagrange multipliers be used to analyze systems with multiple constraints?

Lagrange multipliers can be used to analyze systems with multiple constraints by incorporating all of the constraints into the Lagrangian function. This results in a set of equations that can be solved simultaneously to find the equations of motion for the system.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange multipliers in physics?

One limitation of using Lagrange multipliers in physics is that they can only be applied to systems with holonomic constraints, which are constraints that do not depend on the velocity of the system. Additionally, the method of Lagrange multipliers can become computationally intensive for systems with a large number of constraints.