Lagrange equations of a spinning parabola

In summary, the parabola has a kinetic energy given by the following equation: \[E = \frac{1}{2}mv^2-mgy\] where ##v## is the angular velocity and ##\rho## is the bead's mass.
tehdiddulator

Homework Statement

Consider a bead of mass m sliding without friction on a wire that is bent in the shape of a parabola and is being spun with constant angular velocity ω about its vertical axis. Use cylindrical polar coordinates and let the equation of the parabola be ##z = kρ^{2}##. Write down the lagrangian in terms of ρ as the generalized coordinate. Find the equation of motion.

Homework Equations

$$L = T-U = \frac{1}{2}mv^2-mgy$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need a hint on how to set up the kinetic energy of the parabola, maybe someone can explain it in a different way that would push me in the right direction.

Also, sorry if this isn't considered advanced physics. This is a classical mechanics class (upper level at my school) and it seems like a gray area for me.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you need to change your coordinates to suit the problem better

tehdiddulator said:

Homework Statement

Consider a bead of mass m sliding without friction on a wire that is bent in the shape of a parabola and is being spun with constant angular velocity ω about its vertical axis. Use cylindrical polar coordinates and let the equation of the parabola be ##z = kρ^{2}##. Write down the lagrangian in terms of ρ as the generalized coordinate. Find the equation of motion.

Homework Equations

$$L = T-U = \frac{1}{2}mv^2-mgy$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need a hint on how to set up the kinetic energy of the parabola, maybe someone can explain it in a different way that would push me in the right direction.
A straightforward method is to write down expressions for x(t), y(t), and z(t) and then differentiate them with respect to time. For example, ##x(t) = \rho\cos \phi##, so
$$\dot{x}(t) = \dot{\rho}\cos \phi - \rho\sin\phi \,\dot{\phi}.$$ When you have all three, plug them into ##v^2 = \dot{x}(t)^2 + \dot{y}(t)^2 + \dot{z}(t)^2##.

By the way, I think the potential term in the Lagrangian should be mgz, not mgy.

Also, sorry if this isn't considered advanced physics. This is a classical mechanics class (upper level at my school) and it seems like a gray area for me.
Thanks!
It's in the right place.

Ah, I suppose I should add in the major fact that they want it in terms of the generalized coordinate rho. I can try and find/make a picture of the graph if it helps.

and yes, you are correct, the potential would be mgz.

The expression you end up with will be in terms of ##\rho##.

Everything worked out properly! Thanks a bunch for your help.

Related to Lagrange equations of a spinning parabola

1. What are Lagrange equations of a spinning parabola?

The Lagrange equations of a spinning parabola refer to a set of equations that describe the motion of a spinning parabola in space. These equations were developed by Italian mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange in the 18th century and are used to analyze the dynamics of a spinning parabola.

2. How do you derive the Lagrange equations of a spinning parabola?

The Lagrange equations of a spinning parabola can be derived using the principle of least action, which states that the motion of a system can be described by minimizing the action (a measure of the system's energy) over time. This results in a set of equations that describe the motion of the spinning parabola in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration.

3. What are the variables used in the Lagrange equations of a spinning parabola?

The variables used in the Lagrange equations of a spinning parabola include the position, velocity, and acceleration of the parabola, as well as the angular velocity and angular acceleration of the spin. These variables are typically represented by the letters x, y, z for position, and u, v, w for velocity and a, b, c for acceleration, and ω for angular velocity and α for angular acceleration.

4. What are the applications of the Lagrange equations of a spinning parabola?

The Lagrange equations of a spinning parabola have various applications in physics, engineering, and mechanics. They are often used in the study of rigid body dynamics, celestial mechanics, and spacecraft trajectory optimization. They also have applications in robotics, aerodynamics, and other areas of physics and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lagrange equations of a spinning parabola?

Like any mathematical model, the Lagrange equations of a spinning parabola have limitations. They assume that the parabola is a rigid body with no deformations, and that external forces, such as friction and air resistance, are negligible. They also do not take into account relativistic effects. Additionally, the equations can become more complex when applied to systems with multiple spinning parabolas or non-uniform masses.