Equation of motion via Euler-Lagrange equation

In summary, the homework statement states that a bead of mass slides without friction along a wire which has the shape of a parabola y=Ax² with axis vertical in the Earth's gravitational field g. Using Lagrange's equation of motion, the Lagrangian is found to be L=\frac{m\dot x ^2}{2}(1+4A^2 x^2)-mgAx^2. The system is conservative and you can find the relation between x and dx/dt for a given energy, and determine the maximum displacement from equilibrium or the maximum speed.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A bead of mass m slides without friction along a wire which has the shape of a parabola y=Ax² with axis vertical in the Earth's gravitational field g.
a)Find the Lagrangian, taking as generalized coordinate the horizontal displacement x.
b)Write down the Lagrange's equation of motion.

Homework Equations

Solved the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

a)[itex]L=\frac{m\dot x ^2}{2}(1+4A^2 x^2)-mgAx^2[/itex].
b)[itex]\ddot x (1+4A^2x^2 )-8A^2 \dot x ^2 x +2gAx=0[/itex].
For the fun of it, I wanted to get some information about the motion of the particle, by looking at either small oscilations or by solving the equation of motion.
However:
---------
1)For small oscillations I'd need to approximate the potential energy function by a quadratic function but it's already done so I'm "lucky" on that part. This is supposed to make the equation of motion more friendly.
2)I'm currently self studying mathematical methods in physics and I must say that the equation of motion equation looks really terrible! It's non linear and of degree two.
----------------

So I was wondering if I could either solve this differential equation via some method or at least get some info about the behaviour of the motion. Using intuition the motion must be periodic, but I find nothing more than this. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:

The Attempt at a Solution

b)[itex]\ddot x (1+4A^2x^2 )-8A^2 \dot x ^2 x +2gAx=0[/itex].

Check the minus sign in front of the second term.

You can find the frequency of small oscillations assuming that x and dx/dt are small, so ignoring the squared terms.

The system is conservative, you can find the relation between x (or y) and dx/dt for a given energy, and determine the maximum displacement from equilibrium or the maximum speed. ehild

ehild said:
Check the minus sign in front of the second term.

You can find the frequency of small oscillations assuming that x and dx/dt are small, so ignoring the squared terms.

The system is conservative, you can find the relation between x (or y) and dx/dt for a given energy, and determine the maximum displacement from equilibrium or the maximum speed. ehild
Wow thanks a lot.
The differential equation reduces to [itex]\ddot x +2gAx=0 \Rightarrow x(t) \approx A \cos (\sqrt{2gA}x)+B\sin (\sqrt{2gA}x)[/itex] that is, if A is greater than 0.
P.S.:thanks for spotting my sign error.

If A is negative, x=0 is unstable equilibrium. There will not be oscillations, the bead will just slide down along the parabola if displaced from x=0.

ehild

ehild said:
If A is negative, x=0 is unstable equilibrium. There will not be oscillations, the bead will just slide down along the parabola if displaced from x=0.

ehild

I understand this with intuition, however how could I "prove" it mathematically or at least see it?
If I still consider [itex]\ddot x +2gAx=0[/itex], this would give [itex]x(t)=Ce^{\sqrt {-2gA}x }+De^{-\sqrt {-2gA}x }[/itex]. I know that this function diverges when x tends to either positive or negative infinite. However this DE was built under the assumption that [itex]x\approx 0[/itex], therefore I do not think it is well suited to study the behaviour of the particle for great |x|.

fluidistic said:
I understand this with intuition, however how could I "prove" it mathematically or at least see it?
If I still consider [itex]\ddot x +2gAx=0[/itex], this would give [itex]x(t)=Ce^{\sqrt {-2gA}x }+De^{-\sqrt {-2gA}x }[/itex].

x=0 is a solution of the original differential equation. If both x and xdot are small, the differential equation is like Hook's Law mx'' = -2mgAx, and the force is opposite to the displacement when A>0. The displaced particle oscillates around the equilibrium point.
If A<0, mx" = 2mg|A|x, the force is in the same direction as the displacement, the displaced particle will move away from equilibrium.

ehild

fluidistic said:
##x(t) \approx A \cos (\sqrt{2gA}x)+B\sin (\sqrt{2gA}x)##

fluidistic said:
##x(t)=Ce^{\sqrt {-2gA}x }+De^{-\sqrt {-2gA}x }##
The x in the argument of the sine and cosine and in the exponents should be t.

vela said:
The x in the argument of the sine and cosine and in the exponents should be t.

Of course, you are right!:smile: I did not notice :blushing:.

ehild

Related to Equation of motion via Euler-Lagrange equation

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental equation in classical mechanics that helps in determining the equations of motion for a system of particles or a single particle in a given potential field. It is a variation of the principle of least action, which states that the actual path taken by a particle between two points in space and time is the one that minimizes the action integral.

2. What is the significance of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is significant because it provides a powerful mathematical tool for deriving the equations of motion for a wide range of physical systems. It is applicable to both conservative and non-conservative systems, making it a versatile tool for studying various phenomena in mechanics.

3. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation derived?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is derived by applying the principle of least action to a Lagrangian function, which is defined as the difference between the kinetic and potential energies of a system. By varying the Lagrangian with respect to the generalized coordinates and velocities of the system, the Euler-Lagrange equation is obtained.

4. Can the Euler-Lagrange equation be extended to non-mechanical systems?

Yes, the Euler-Lagrange equation can be extended to non-mechanical systems by considering the relevant energy terms in the Lagrangian. For example, in the case of electromagnetic systems, the Lagrangian includes terms for the electric and magnetic fields, and the Euler-Lagrange equation can be used to derive Maxwell's equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Euler-Lagrange equation?

While the Euler-Lagrange equation is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It only applies to systems that can be described by a Lagrangian, and it does not take into account dissipative forces, such as friction. Additionally, in some cases, the equations of motion obtained from the Euler-Lagrange equation may be difficult to solve analytically, requiring numerical methods instead.