Lagragians for spin 1/2 fields

In summary: The mass term is proportional with \psi^{\dagger}\psi . So if the Hamiltonian has a term with a complex derivative then the mass term will also have a complex derivative. This means that the Hamiltonian will be unbounded below if the complex derivative in the term is not positive-definitie.
LAHLH
Hi,

Why would having [tex] \partial\psi\partial\psi [/tex] lead to a Hamiltonian that is unbounded below? Srednicki states that in order to have a bounded Hamiltonian one must include [tex]\psi^{\dag} [/tex] in the combination too.

Also why exactly do we require or Lagrangian to be Hermitian, is this somehow to give real eigenvalues for observables like in QM?

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also puzzled by this statement. The Lagrangian however has to be Hermitian to ensure CPT-invariance.

haushofer said:
I'm also puzzled by this statement. The Lagrangian however has to be Hermitian to ensure CPT-invariance.

Thanks, could you say anymore about Hermiticity ensures CPT invariance or anywhere I could look this up?

Anyone know about why the term from Srednicki leads to unbounded Hamiltonians from below?

The hamiltonian constructed from this term would be
[tex](\dot\psi)^2 + (\nabla \psi)^2[/tex]
which is not positive-definitie because [itex]\psi[/itex] is complex. The square of a complex number is just another complex number.

The hamiltonian constructed from this term would be
LaTeX Code: (\\dot\\psi)^2 + (\\nabla \\psi)^2
which is not positive-definitie because LaTeX Code: \\psi is complex. The square of a complex number is just another complex number.

Isn't [tex] \psi [/tex] just an operator not a complex number?

how can you talk about positive and negativeness for the sum of two complex numbers? and how is this situation different from the term [tex] \psi\psi [/tex] being included which is legal? not sure I follow your reasong for why this term is unbounded below.

LAHLH said:
I and how is this situation different from the term [tex] \psi\psi [/tex] being included which is legal?

This term is only legal with its hermitian conjugate.

This term is only legal with its hermitian conjugate

Yeah, I'm aware of that, sorry, was just being sloppy for the sake of brevity. The Lagragian must be Hermitian so my previous post should read [tex] \psi\psi+\psi^{\dag}\psi^{\dag} [/tex]

[tex] \psi\psi + \psi^{\dagger}\psi^{\dagger} = 0 + 0 = 0 [/tex]

because the Dirac/Weyl spinor fiels are fermionic variables (Grassmann parity = 1).

The mass term is proportional with [itex] \psi^{\dagger}\psi [/itex].

And an interesting question i/o the one from the original post would be:

'Why isn't the <kinetic> term in the Dirac/Weyl Lagrangian second order in the derivatives

[tex] \mathcal{L}_{kin}= k \left(\partial^{\mu}\psi^{\dagger}\right)\left(\partial_{\mu}\psi\right) [/tex]

?

Last edited:
bigubau said:
[tex] \psi\psi + \psi^{\dagger}\psi^{\dagger} = 0 + 0 = 0 [/tex]

because the Dirac/Weyl spinor fiels are fermionic variables (Grassmann parity = 1).

The mass term is proportional with [itex] \psi^{\dagger}\psi [/itex].

This is not true, for Weyl spinors at least the mass term is proportional to [tex] \psi\psi + \psi^{\dagger}\psi^{\dagger} [/tex]

It is true that the spinors anticommute in the sense [tex] \chi_{a}\psi_{b}=-\psi_{b}\chi_{a}[/tex].

But [tex] \chi\psi=\chi^{a}\psi_{a}=-\psi_{a}\chi^{a}=+\psi^{a}\chi_{a}=\psi\chi [/tex]
The third equality follows from anticommutation, the next by properties of [tex]\epsilon[/tex] contraction.

It is in fact precisely because of the anticommutation that [tex] \psi\psi=\epsilon^{ab}\psi_{b}\psi_{a}=\psi_{1}\psi_{2}-\psi_{2}\psi_{1}\neq 0[/tex]

However if one is considering the Dirac field then the mass term is proportional to [tex] \bar{\Psi}\Psi[/tex]

I'm interested in the answer to the question you posed about 'why not second order' too, and why this leads to unbounded Hamiltonian

Related to Lagragians for spin 1/2 fields

1. What is a Lagrangian for spin 1/2 fields?

A Lagrangian for spin 1/2 fields is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a quantum mechanical system with spin 1/2 particles. It is based on the Lagrangian formalism, which is a way of describing the motion of particles in terms of a single function, the Lagrangian, instead of multiple equations of motion.

2. How is a Lagrangian for spin 1/2 fields different from a Lagrangian for scalar fields?

A Lagrangian for spin 1/2 fields is different from a Lagrangian for scalar fields because spin 1/2 particles have intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, which scalar particles do not possess. This means that the Lagrangian for spin 1/2 fields must include terms that describe the spin degrees of freedom, while the Lagrangian for scalar fields does not.

3. What are the basic components of a Lagrangian for spin 1/2 fields?

The basic components of a Lagrangian for spin 1/2 fields include the kinetic term, which describes the motion of the particles, and the interaction term, which describes how the particles interact with each other and with external fields. Additionally, there may be mass terms and self-interaction terms, depending on the specific system being described.

4. How are Lagrangians for spin 1/2 fields used in quantum field theory?

Lagrangians for spin 1/2 fields are used in quantum field theory to describe the dynamics of spin 1/2 particles in a relativistic framework. They are used to derive equations of motion, such as the Dirac equation, which describe the behavior of spin 1/2 particles under the influence of external fields.

5. Can Lagrangians for spin 1/2 fields be used to describe all particles with spin 1/2?

Yes, Lagrangians for spin 1/2 fields can be used to describe all particles with spin 1/2, including fermions such as electrons, quarks, and neutrinos. This is because the Lagrangian formalism is a general and powerful tool for describing the dynamics of quantum mechanical systems, regardless of the specific particles involved.