Ladder operators for angular momentum

In summary, the expectation value of the ladder operator L+ for angular momentum is zero, unless the state is a mixture. This is because L+ changes one state to another, making it orthogonal to the original state. The expectation value is calculated by taking the average value of the operator in a given state, but since L+ is not a Hermitian operator, this interpretation is not applicable. The proof for the expectation value being zero can be seen in the fact that L+ operates on a state to give an orthogonal state, and the states for angular momentum are orthonormal.
Tvdmeer
This might be a basic question, but I'm having some difficulty understanding expectation values and ladder operators for angular momentum.

<L+> = ?

I know that L+ = Lx+iLy, but I don't know what the expectation value would be?

Someone told me something that looked like this:

<lml|L+|lml>=<lml|lml+1

But I don't really get how that works, nor do I know if that is the same as <L+>.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since L+ changes one state to another, its expectation value is zero unless the state is a mixture.

Thanks for getting back to me. I understand conceptually why the expectation value of L+ is equal to zero. I guess I'm more asking what the proof is for that. Obviously since it is just an operator it will have a zero likelihood of being anywhere, but I just don't know why in this equation my teacher new to sandwich l+ with lms on either side:

<lml|L+|lml>

I just don't understand the setup

L+|l,m> gives |l,m+1>, which iis orthogonal to |l,m>.

If a system is in the state [tex]\left|\psi\right>[/tex], the expectation value of an Hermitian operator [tex]A[/tex] is given by

[tex]\left<\psi\right|A\left|\psi\right>[/tex]

This has nothing to do with an operator "being anywhere," but rather with the average value you would see if you performed an experiment many times and measured the physical quantity represented by the operator [tex]A[/tex].

Of course the operator [tex]L_+[/tex] is NOT Hermitian, and the interpretation of its expectation value as an expected average over many experimental trials is nonsense. In this particular case, the expectation value vanishes for the reason already mentioned, namely

[tex] L_+ \left|l,m_l\right> \propto \left|l,m_l +1 \right> [/tex]

and the states [tex]\left|l,m_l\right>[/tex] are orthonormal, i.e. [tex] \left<l,m_l\right|k,n_k\left> = \delta_{l,k} \delta_{m_l,n_k} [/tex]

Related to Ladder operators for angular momentum

What is the concept of ladder operators in angular momentum?

The concept of ladder operators in angular momentum is based on the idea that the angular momentum of a particle can only take on certain discrete values. These operators, also known as raising and lowering operators, allow us to move between these discrete values by changing the quantum state of the particle.

What is the mathematical representation of ladder operators for angular momentum?

In quantum mechanics, the ladder operators for angular momentum are represented by the operators L+ and L-, which correspond to the raising and lowering operations, respectively. These operators are defined in terms of the angular momentum operators, Lx, Ly, and Lz, and their corresponding eigenvalues.

How do ladder operators for angular momentum relate to the angular momentum vector?

The ladder operators for angular momentum are closely related to the angular momentum vector, as they are defined in terms of the angular momentum operators Lx, Ly, and Lz. The operators L+ and L- correspond to the raising and lowering of the angular momentum vector along the z-axis, respectively.

What is the significance of ladder operators in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, ladder operators play a crucial role in determining the energy levels and quantum states of a system. They allow us to move between the discrete energy levels of a system and provide a way to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes in quantum measurements.

How are ladder operators for angular momentum used in practical applications?

Ladder operators for angular momentum are used in a variety of practical applications, including atomic and molecular physics, solid-state physics, and quantum computing. They are also essential in theoretical studies of quantum systems and have been used to explain various phenomena, such as the spectra of atoms and molecules.