Labeling Algorithms in LaTeX Thesis: Figures or Algorithms?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of LaTeX for a thesis and the proper labeling and referencing of algorithms. It is suggested to consult the university's preferred style manual or a relevant journal's style guide for guidance. Additionally, it is recommended to seek out previous graduate students' successfully approved dissertations to use as a reference for formatting.
oneamp
I am using latex for my thesis. Should I label my algorithms as figures, or algorithms? If algorithms, how do I reference them in the text? For figures I say, (Fig. 1). For algorithms? (Algo. 1), (Algorithm 1)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your university have a preferred style/thesis manual you could consult? Otherwise, I'd consult the style guide of a relevant journal and follow that.

Last edited:
oneamp said:
I am using latex for my thesis. Should I label my algorithms as figures, or algorithms? If algorithms, how do I reference them in the text? For figures I say, (Fig. 1). For algorithms? (Algo. 1), (Algorithm 1)?

Thanks

As has been mention, you need to check with your school, especially with someone who is in charge of checking the thesis style. What we tell you can easily be not applicable to the style requirement of your school!

Zz.

I agree with everyone else, and have one piece of advice: if a prior grad student successfully had their dissertation approved while using LaTeX, see if you can get the relevant files so that you don't have to mess with all the details (margins, font sizes, etc.) yourself. I was able to do this and it saved me many many hours of work editing style files!

jason

Thanks for the advice jasonRF, but I've already got all the formatting done (manually) :)

Related to Labeling Algorithms in LaTeX Thesis: Figures or Algorithms?

1. What is algorithm labeling in a thesis?

Algorithm labeling in a thesis refers to the process of identifying and labeling the different algorithms used in the research study. This is done to make it easier for readers to understand and follow the steps of the algorithm and to refer back to it for further analysis.

2. Why is algorithm labeling important in a thesis?

Algorithm labeling is important because it helps to clearly and accurately present the steps and methods used in a research study. It also allows for transparency and reproducibility of the results, as readers can easily follow and understand the algorithm used in the study.

3. How should algorithm labeling be done in a thesis?

Algorithm labeling should be done by providing a clear and concise description of each step in the algorithm, along with any necessary equations or diagrams. The algorithms should also be numbered and referenced in the text for easy navigation and understanding.

4. What is the difference between algorithm labeling and algorithm naming?

Algorithm labeling refers to the process of identifying and labeling the algorithms used in a study, while algorithm naming involves giving a unique name or title to a specific algorithm. Algorithm labeling is more commonly used in thesis writing to provide organized and structured information.

5. Are there any specific guidelines for algorithm labeling in a thesis?

Yes, there are some general guidelines for algorithm labeling in a thesis, such as using a consistent format and style, providing clear descriptions and references, and numbering the algorithms in a sequential manner. However, it is always best to follow the specific guidelines provided by your university or advisor.