Lab report: pulling cart up a ramp, find efficiencies

In summary, there was an issue with the efficiency calculations in a lab report. The experiment involved pulling a cart up a ramp with different masses and angles, using a spring scale calibrated in Newtons. The chart of recorded data showed efficiencies over 100%, indicating a maximum value. However, the significant digits and formula used may have affected the results. It was also noted that the mass of the cart was not included in the calculations.
msimard8
I am doing a lab report and something is wrong. I don't know if it is my results, or if it is my calculation.

What we did was pull a cart up a ramp upside down (wheels facing up) with different masses and different angles of the ramp. We pulled it up with a spring scale calibrated in Newtons. The Newtons were recorded and the height, distance, and angle of the ramp were in this chart. The sigificant digits are off but that shouldn't affect the results I am getting. The efficiencies are way over 100% which is maximum.

Formulas that I used are

Total Energy Input = force x distance
Useful Energy Output = mass x gravitational energy x height
Efficency = Energy output/ energy input x 100%

The chart is not complete yet though.

Attachments

• efficiency chart.doc
    23 KB · Views: 344
Physics news on Phys.org
msimard8 said:
Total Energy Input = force x distance
Useful Energy Output = mass x gravitational energy x height
Efficency = Energy output/ energy input x 100%

I have to fix your words here-- this should read:

total work input = force x distance
useful work output = mass x gravitational field strength x height

I haven't seen the chart yet (approval is pending) but let me take a few stabs:
did you include the mass of the cart itself? (you should have)
did you multiply the weight of the cart (in Newtons) times "g"? (you should NOT have)
did you convert grams to kilograms correctly? (200 g = 0.200 kg)

thanks

problem solved

Related to Lab report: pulling cart up a ramp, find efficiencies

1. What is the purpose of this lab report?

The purpose of this lab report is to analyze the efficiency of pulling a cart up a ramp. By measuring the forces and distances involved, we can determine the most efficient way to move the cart up the ramp.

2. How is efficiency calculated in this lab?

Efficiency is calculated by dividing the output work (the work done to move the cart up the ramp) by the input work (the work done by pulling the cart). This ratio is then multiplied by 100 to get the efficiency percentage.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of pulling the cart up the ramp?

The factors that affect efficiency in this lab include the angle of the ramp, the weight of the cart, and the force applied to the cart. Friction and the surface of the ramp may also play a role.

4. What is the significance of finding efficiencies in this lab?

By finding the most efficient way to pull the cart up the ramp, we can understand the principles of work and energy. This can also help us make more informed decisions in real-life scenarios, such as designing machines or optimizing processes.

5. How can this lab be improved or expanded upon?

This lab can be improved or expanded upon by testing different variables, such as using different materials for the ramp or changing the weight of the cart. It can also be expanded by comparing the efficiencies of pulling the cart up different types of ramps, such as inclined planes or curved ramps.