L in terms of a and b as a maximum

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the maximum value of L, which is given by the equation L = a/sin(theta) + b/cos(theta). The attempt at a solution involved using the chain rule and various trigonometric identities to find the value of theta that maximizes L. The final answer is likely L = (a^(2/3) + b^(2/3))^(3/2), although there may be simpler steps involved.
rebeka

Homework Statement

[tex] L = \frac{a}{\sin{\theta}} + \frac{b}{\cos{\theta}} [/tex]find L in terms of a and b where L is a maximum ...

Homework Equations

place long list of trigonometric identities here??

The Attempt at a Solution

so my attempt looks something like this:

as a cause of the chain rule:

[tex] \frac{dL}{d\theta} = - \frac{a \cdot \cos{\theta} }{\sin^2{\theta}} + \frac{b \cdot \sin{\theta}}{\cos^2{\theta}} [/tex]so with [tex] \frac{dL}{d\theta} = 0 [/tex] ..

[tex] \sin{\theta} = \cos{\theta}(\frac{a}{b})^{\frac{1}{3}} [/tex][tex] \cos{\theta} = \frac{\sin{\theta}}{ (\frac{a}{b})^{\frac{1}{3}}} [/tex]also..

[tex] L = a\csc{\theta} + b\sec{\theta} [/tex]so that by identities..

[tex] \frac{dL}{d \theta} = a(-\cot{\theta} \cdot \csc{\theta}) + b(-\csc^2{\theta}) [/tex]which when [tex] \frac{dL}{d \theta} [/tex] is set to zero and the resultant reduced ...

[tex] \cos{\theta} = - \frac{b}{a} [/tex]substituting the above into the original equation and reducing I have come to

[tex] = - \frac{a^{\frac{5}{3}}}{b^{\frac{2}{3}}} - \frac{a \cdot b^{\frac{2}{3}}}{b^{\frac{2}{3}}} [/tex]which looks like it is approaching the final answer of

[tex] L = (a^{\frac{2}{3}} + b^{\frac{2}{3}})^{\frac{3}{2}} [/tex]but is most likely somehow wrong and there is probably a much simpler answer I am overlooking as this seems a bit out of context :/

if I skipped too many steps forgive me I will add more ... latex is very time consuming for me!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got tan(theta)=(a/b)^(1/3). Stop there. So theta=arctan((a/b)^(1/3)). Now you need to find sin and cos of the arctan. BTW this isn't necessarily a maximum - so far it's just a critical point.

Thank you both!

o~o

Related to L in terms of a and b as a maximum

1. What does "L in terms of a and b as a maximum" mean?

"L in terms of a and b as a maximum" refers to finding the largest or highest value of L, which is a variable that is dependent on two other variables, a and b.

2. How is L calculated in terms of a and b as a maximum?

L is calculated by finding the critical points of the function that represents the relationship between L, a, and b. The critical points are then evaluated to determine the maximum value of L.

3. Can L have more than one maximum value?

Yes, L can have multiple maximum values if the function has multiple critical points with the same value. In this case, all of the critical points would be considered maximum values of L.

4. What is the significance of finding the maximum value of L in terms of a and b?

Finding the maximum value of L allows us to determine the optimal values of a and b that will result in the highest value of L. This can be useful in various scientific and mathematical applications, such as optimization problems.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using L in terms of a and b as a maximum?

Yes, using L in terms of a and b as a maximum assumes that the function is continuous and differentiable. Additionally, it may not always be possible to find an explicit formula for L in terms of a and b, in which case numerical methods may be used to approximate the maximum value.