Kunz - Vanishing Ideal and Minimum Polynomial

In summary: I see ... so in a way, Roman's definition of a minimal polynomial is more general than Kunz's ... ...Yes, I think so too.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Ernst Kunz book, "Introduction to Plane Algebraic Curves"

I need help with some aspects of Kunz' definition of the vanishing ideal of an algebraic curve and Kunz' definition of a minimal polynomial ...

The relevant text from Kunz is as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4552
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4553My questions on the above text are as follows ... ...Question 1In the text above from Kunz, we read the following ...

" ... ... Theorem 1.7 \(\displaystyle \mathscr{J} ( \Gamma )\) is the principal ideal generated by \(\displaystyle f_1 \ ... \ ... \ f_n\). ... ... "

This definition surprised me since I think of a principal ideal as being generated by one element ... ... ? ...

But the I noted that in Definition 1.8 Kunz writes \(\displaystyle \mathscr{J} ( \Gamma ) = (f) \) with \(\displaystyle f \in K [ X,Y ]\) ... ...

SO maybe Kunz is defining \(\displaystyle \mathscr{J} ( \Gamma )\) as a principal ideal generated by \(\displaystyle f\) ... ... but also generated by \(\displaystyle f_1 \ ... \ ... \ f_n\) ... ... is that correct?Can someone please confirm that my analysis is correct ... or possibly correct the errors in my thinking ...
Question 2In the above text, Kunz writes the following:

" ... ... Definition 1.8 Given \(\displaystyle \mathscr{J} ( \Gamma ) = (f)\) with \(\displaystyle f \in K [ X,Y ]\), we call \(\displaystyle f\) a minimal polynomial for \Gamma. ... ... "I am a bit puzzled by this since I am more used to a minimum polynomial being associated with the root \(\displaystyle \alpha\) of a polynomial ... not being associated with an algebraic curve \(\displaystyle \Gamma\) ... ...

... ... indeed a more usual definition is found in Steven Roman's book on Field Theory ... ... as follows:View attachment 4555
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4554

Can someone clarify this by showing that Kunz and Roman's definitions of minimum polynomial are actually the same ... ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Question 1In the text above from Kunz, we read the following ...

" ... ... Theorem 1.7 \(\displaystyle \mathscr{J} ( \Gamma )\) is the principal ideal generated by \(\displaystyle f_1 \ ... \ ... \ f_n\). ... ... "

This definition surprised me since I think of a principal ideal as being generated by one element ... ... ? ...

But the I noted that in Definition 1.8 Kunz writes \(\displaystyle \mathscr{J} ( \Gamma ) = (f) \) with \(\displaystyle f \in K [ X,Y ]\) ... ...

SO maybe Kunz is defining \(\displaystyle \mathscr{J} ( \Gamma )\) as a principal ideal generated by \(\displaystyle f\) ... ... but also generated by \(\displaystyle f_1 \ ... \ ... \ f_n\) ... ... is that correct?Can someone please confirm that my analysis is correct ... or possibly correct the errors in my thinking ...

I think you might've misread the notation. He doesn't say that $\mathcal{J}(\Gamma) = (f_1,\ldots, f_h)$ but $\mathcal{J}(\Gamma) = (f_1\cdots f_h)$, in other words, $\mathcal{J}(\Gamma)$ is generated by the product $f_1\ldots f_h$, and not by the individual $f_1,\ldots, f_h$. So he has used the term "principal ideal" in the usual way.
Question 2In the above text, Kunz writes the following:

" ... ... Definition 1.8 Given \(\displaystyle \mathscr{J} ( \Gamma ) = (f)\) with \(\displaystyle f \in K [ X,Y ]\), we call \(\displaystyle f\) a minimal polynomial for \Gamma. ... ... "I am a bit puzzled by this since I am more used to a minimum polynomial being associated with the root \(\displaystyle \alpha\) of a polynomial ... not being associated with an algebraic curve \(\displaystyle \Gamma\) ... ...

... ... indeed a more usual definition is found in Steven Roman's book on Field Theory ... ... as follows:Can someone clarify this by showing that Kunz and Roman's definitions of minimum polynomial are actually the same ... ...

Peter

You haven't made a parallel comparison. Roman is referring to the minimum polynomial for an algebraic element of a field, whereas Kunz is referring to a minimum polynomial for a subset of the affine plane over a field.

Euge said:
I think you might've misread the notation. He doesn't say that $\mathcal{J}(\Gamma) = (f_1,\ldots, f_h)$ but $\mathcal{J}(\Gamma) = (f_1\cdots f_h)$, in other words, $\mathcal{J}(\Gamma)$ is generated by the product $f_1\ldots f_h$, and not by the individual $f_1,\ldots, f_h$. So he has used the term "principal ideal" in the usual way.

You haven't made a parallel comparison. Roman is referring to the minimum polynomial for an algebraic element of a field, wheras Kunz is referring to a minimum polynomial for a subset of the affine plane over a field.
Thanks Euge ...

You write:

"I think you might've misread the notation. He doesn't say that $\mathcal{J}(\Gamma) = (f_1,\ldots, f_h)$ but $\mathcal{J}(\Gamma) = (f_1\cdots f_h)$, in other words, $\mathcal{J}(\Gamma)$ is generated by the product $f_1\ldots f_h$, and not by the individual $f_1,\ldots, f_h$. So he has used the term "principal ideal" in the usual way."

Yes, you are quite right ... thanks for that ...
You also write:

"You haven't made a parallel comparison. Roman is referring to the minimum polynomial for an algebraic element of a field, whereas Kunz is referring to a minimum polynomial for a subset of the affine plane over a field."

Yes, OK ... see that ...

Is Kunz definition a common/traditional definition? ... the definitions I found in my textbooks seemed to all refer to an algebraic element of a field ... ...

Peter

Peter said:
Is Kunz definition a common/traditional definition? ... the definitions I found in my textbooks seemed to all refer to an algebraic element of a field ... ...

Yes, I believe Kunz's definition is common.

Related to Kunz - Vanishing Ideal and Minimum Polynomial

1. What is the Kunz-Vanishing Ideal and Minimum Polynomial?

The Kunz-Vanishing Ideal and Minimum Polynomial is a mathematical concept used in algebraic geometry to study the behavior of polynomial equations. It was first introduced by Ernst Kunz in the 1960s and later generalized by Wilhelm Van der Kulk in the 1970s.

2. How is the Kunz-Vanishing Ideal and Minimum Polynomial calculated?

The Kunz-Vanishing Ideal and Minimum Polynomial can be calculated using the coefficients of a given polynomial equation. It involves finding the ideal generated by the coefficients and then determining the minimum polynomial that vanishes on this ideal.

3. What is the significance of the Kunz-Vanishing Ideal and Minimum Polynomial in algebraic geometry?

The Kunz-Vanishing Ideal and Minimum Polynomial is important in studying the properties of polynomial equations, such as the number of solutions and their multiplicities. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as commutative algebra and number theory.

4. Can the Kunz-Vanishing Ideal and Minimum Polynomial be used for any type of polynomial equation?

Yes, the Kunz-Vanishing Ideal and Minimum Polynomial can be used for any polynomial equation with coefficients in a commutative ring. However, it is most commonly used for equations in two or more variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Kunz-Vanishing Ideal and Minimum Polynomial?

One limitation of the Kunz-Vanishing Ideal and Minimum Polynomial is that it only applies to polynomial equations, and cannot be used for other types of equations, such as trigonometric or exponential equations. Additionally, the calculations involved can become quite complex for higher degree equations.