How Do GCDs Coincide in Principal Ideals According to Rotman's Proposition 3.41?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the statement by Rotman that the principal ideals generated by two gcd's of a and b coincide follows from Proposition 3.41. This can be proved by showing that if $d$ and $d'$ are gcds of $a$ and $b$, then $(d)=(d')$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Joseph J.Rotman's book, A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Section 3. Polynomials

I need help with the a statement of Rotman's concerning the definition of a gcd in a general domain ... the definition

The relevant section of Rotman's text reads as follows:View attachment 4544
View attachment 4545
In the above text we read the following:

" ... ... By Proposition 3.41, the principal ideals generated by two gcd's \(\displaystyle d\) and \(\displaystyle d'\) of \(\displaystyle a\) and \(\displaystyle b\) coincide: \(\displaystyle (d') = (d)\). ... ..."Can someone please help me to prove (rigorously and formally) that this statement actually follows from Proposition 3.41?

Hope someone can help ...

Peter
*** NOTE ***

Proposition 3.41 reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4546

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Joseph J.Rotman's book, A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Section 3. Polynomials

I need help with the a statement of Rotman's concerning the definition of a gcd in a general domain ... the definition

The relevant section of Rotman's text reads as follows:

In the above text we read the following:

" ... ... By Proposition 3.41, the principal ideals generated by two gcd's \(\displaystyle d\) and \(\displaystyle d'\) of \(\displaystyle a\) and \(\displaystyle b\) coincide: \(\displaystyle (d') = (d)\). ... ..."Can someone please help me to prove (rigorously and formally) that this statement actually follows from Proposition 3.41?

Hope someone can help ...

Peter
*** NOTE ***

Proposition 3.41 reads as follows:

I don't see how Prop. 3.41 applies. It's pretty straightforward anyway. If $d$ and $d'$ are gcds of $a$ and $b$, then $d|d'$ and $d'|d$. Thus $(d)\subseteq (d')$ and $(d')\subseteq (d)$.

Related to How Do GCDs Coincide in Principal Ideals According to Rotman's Proposition 3.41?

What is a GCD in a domain?

A GCD (Greatest Common Divisor) in a domain refers to the largest positive integer that divides evenly into two or more numbers in that domain. It is also known as the highest common factor.

How is GCD calculated?

The GCD can be calculated using various methods such as prime factorization, Euclid's algorithm, or the extended Euclidean algorithm. These methods involve finding the factors of the given numbers and then identifying the largest common factor among them.

Why is GCD important in mathematics?

GCDs have many practical applications in mathematics, such as simplifying fractions, finding the lowest common denominator, and solving linear Diophantine equations. They also play a crucial role in various number theory problems and algorithms.

Is GCD unique in a domain?

No, the GCD is not unique in a domain. For example, the GCD of 6 and 9 is 3, but the GCD of 12 and 18 is also 3. However, the GCD is unique up to multiplication by a unit (a number with a multiplicative inverse) in a domain.

Can GCD be negative?

Yes, GCDs can be negative in certain domains, such as the ring of integers. This is because the GCD is defined as the largest positive integer that divides evenly into two or more numbers, so a negative number can also satisfy this condition.