Knowing who sponsors political ads

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, political ads on TV stations are required to include information about who paid for them, but it is not clear if this information is available for political ads on YouTube. On internet forums, it is possible to block certain types of ads, including political ads, through agreements with Google.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
On TV stations, political ads are generally accompanied by information about who paid for them. Is this information available for the political ads on YouTube?

On the internet forums I visit, I don't recall seeing political ads. Can forums that run ads from Google make some sort of agreement with Google that they will only run certain types of ads?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
On the internet forums I visit, I don't recall seeing political ads. Can forums that run ads from Google make some sort of agreement with Google that they will only run certain types of ads?
There are about a dozen ad categories that can be blocked which are deemed sensitive. Politics is one of them.

Likes jedishrfu

1. Who is required to disclose sponsorship of political ads?

According to the Federal Election Commission (FEC), any organization or individual that spends more than $250 on political ads must disclose their sponsorship.

2. What information is required to be disclosed about political ad sponsors?

The FEC requires sponsors to disclose their name, address, and occupation or type of business. If the sponsor is an organization, they must also disclose their top donors.

3. Are there any exceptions to the disclosure requirement for political ad sponsors?

Yes, there are certain types of political ads that are exempt from the disclosure requirement. These include ads that are not paid for with campaign funds, ads that are purely educational or issue-based, and small print or short ads.

4. How can I find out who sponsored a political ad?

The FEC maintains a database of all political ad disclosures, which can be searched on their website. Additionally, many media outlets are required to keep records of political ad sponsors and make them publicly available upon request.

5. What are the consequences for not disclosing sponsorship of political ads?

Failure to disclose sponsorship of political ads can result in fines from the FEC and legal action. It is important for sponsors to comply with disclosure requirements to maintain transparency and accountability in the political process.