Klein-Gordon operator on a time-ordered product

In summary, the problem is to show that applying the quabla operator to the expression T(\phi(x)\phi^{\dagger}(y)) results in -i\delta^{(4)}(x-y). The approach is to split the quabla into time and spatial derivatives and use the product rule. However, the two delta terms vanish due to the commutator of two fields being 0. The remaining terms are then simplified using the equal-time commutation relation [\phi(x),\dot{\phi}^{\dagger}(y)] = i\delta^{(3)}(x-y). The question remains on how to handle the positive signs in the simplified expression.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hey guys,

So here's the problem I'm faced with. I have to show that

[itex] (\Box + m^{2})<|T(\phi(x)\phi^{\dagger}(y))|>=-i\delta^{(4)}(x-y) [/itex],

by acting with the quabla ([itex]\Box[/itex]) operator on the following:

[itex]T(\phi(x)\phi^{\dagger}(y))=\theta(x_{0}-y_{0})\phi(x)\phi^{\dagger}(y)+\theta(y_{0}-x_{0})\phi^{\dagger}(y)\phi(x)[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\partial_{0}\theta(x_{0}-y_{0})=\delta(x_{0}-y_{0})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've split the quabla into its time and spatial derivatives: [itex]\Box = \partial_{0}^{2}-\nabla^{2}[/itex] and I'm applying the time derivative first, using the product rule:

[itex]
\partial_{0}T(\phi(x)\phi^{\dagger}(y))
=\delta(x_{0}-y_{0})\phi(x)\phi^{\dagger}(y) +\theta(x_{0}-y_{0})\dot{\phi}(x)\phi^{\dagger}(y)\\
+\theta(x_{0}-y_{0})\phi(x)\dot{\phi}^{\dagger}(y) -\delta(x_{0}-y_{0})\phi^{\dagger}(y)\phi(x)
+\theta(y_{0}-x_{0})\dot{\phi}^{\dagger}(y)\phi(x) +\theta(y_{0}-x_{0})\phi^{\dagger}(y)\dot{\phi}(x)
[/itex]

However, the two delta terms vanish as the commutator of two fields is 0. so I'm left with

[itex]
\partial_{0}T(\phi(x)\phi^{\dagger}(y))
=\theta(x_{0}-y_{0})\dot{\phi}(x)\phi^{\dagger}(y) +\theta(x_{0}-y_{0})\phi(x)\dot{\phi}^{\dagger}(y)\\
+\theta(y_{0}-x_{0})\dot{\phi}^{\dagger}(y)\phi(x) +\theta(y_{0}-x_{0})\phi^{\dagger}(y)\dot{\phi}(x)
[/itex]

At this point I'm meant to be using the equal-time commutation relation: [itex] [\phi(x),\dot{\phi}^{\dagger}(y)] = i\delta^{(3)}(x-y)[/itex] but all my signs are positive...so what do I do?

Thanks guys...

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Klein-Gordon operator on a time-ordered product

1. What is the Klein-Gordon operator on a time-ordered product?

The Klein-Gordon operator on a time-ordered product is a mathematical operator used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of scalar fields. It combines the time-ordered product of two fields with the Klein-Gordon operator, which is a differential operator that arises from the Klein-Gordon equation.

2. How is the Klein-Gordon operator on a time-ordered product used in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, the Klein-Gordon operator on a time-ordered product is used to calculate the time evolution of a quantum state in terms of the fields that describe the particles in the system. It is an essential tool for predicting the behavior of scalar fields and their interactions.

3. What is the significance of the time-ordered product in the Klein-Gordon operator?

The time-ordered product in the Klein-Gordon operator is important because it ensures that calculations involving the operator are well-defined and physically meaningful. It takes into account the ordering of events in time, which is crucial in quantum field theory where particles can interact and affect each other's behavior.

4. How does the Klein-Gordon operator on a time-ordered product relate to the Klein-Gordon equation?

The Klein-Gordon operator on a time-ordered product is related to the Klein-Gordon equation through the use of the time-ordered product. The Klein-Gordon equation describes the behavior of a scalar field in space and time, while the Klein-Gordon operator acts on the time-ordered product of two fields to calculate their time evolution.

5. What are some applications of the Klein-Gordon operator on a time-ordered product?

The Klein-Gordon operator on a time-ordered product has various applications in theoretical physics, particularly in quantum field theory. It is used to study the behavior of scalar fields and their interactions, and has been applied in areas such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology.