Klein-Gordon for a massless particle

In summary, you can use separation of variables to solve a differential equation when there are double derivatives in the equation.
jabers
So I'm trying to find a solution of the Klein-Gordon equation for a massless particle. I reached the Klein-Gordon from the total energy-momentum equation. Then for a massless particle i get to this equation:
$${ \partial^2 \psi \over \partial t^2 } = c^2 \nabla^2 \psi$$How do I solve for psi? I was thinking about trying the Frobenius method, but I'm not sure how to do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Also how do I make my typed latex display in the latex format on this forum?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
so for a one dimensional wave equation the equation is:

[tex] { \partial^2 \psi \over \partial t^2 } = { c^2 \nabla^2 \psi} = c^2 {\partial^2 \psi \over \partial x^2} [/tex]

Right?

I don't see how I could use separation of variables. If it were something like this:

[tex] { \partial x \over \partial t } = { x } [/tex]

Then I could say:

[tex] {\frac{1}{x} \partial x } = {\partial t} [/tex]

And then integrate but I don't see what you mean. What do you mean?

The only thing i could see doing is this:

[tex] {\partial^2 \psi \partial^2 x} = c^2 {\partial^2 \psi \partial^2 t} [/tex]

And integrating twice? But that doesn't really make sense to me.
I didnt think you could separate variables to solve a differential equation when there were double derivatives in the equation.

Cool, thank you.

this equation looks pretty much like the wave-equation, for a wave moving with a speed v=c.
So I guess you can think for solutions like cos or sin, or better exponential.

If for example you say:

Ψ(r,t)= ei(-kr+ωt) which is a spherical wave, you can see how this thing behaves in your equation.

Related to Klein-Gordon for a massless particle

What is the Klein-Gordon equation for a massless particle?

The Klein-Gordon equation for a massless particle is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of a particle with zero rest mass. It is written as ∂2ψ/∂t2 - ∇2ψ = 0, where ψ represents the wave function of the particle.

What is the significance of the Klein-Gordon equation for a massless particle in physics?

The Klein-Gordon equation for a massless particle is significant because it was the first relativistic wave equation to be proposed, and it paved the way for the development of other important equations in quantum mechanics, such as the Dirac equation. It also plays a crucial role in describing the behavior of massless particles, such as photons.

How does the Klein-Gordon equation for a massless particle relate to special relativity?

The Klein-Gordon equation for a massless particle is a relativistic wave equation, meaning that it takes into account the principles of special relativity, such as the constancy of the speed of light and the equivalence of mass and energy. It describes the behavior of particles moving at high speeds and is consistent with the principles of special relativity.

Can the Klein-Gordon equation for a massless particle be used to describe all massless particles?

No, the Klein-Gordon equation for a massless particle is only applicable to spinless particles, such as the Higgs boson. For particles with spin, such as photons, a different equation, known as the Proca equation, is used to describe their behavior.

What are some applications of the Klein-Gordon equation for a massless particle?

The Klein-Gordon equation for a massless particle has various applications in physics, such as in the study of quantum field theory and in the description of the behavior of massless particles in high-energy physics experiments. It also has implications in cosmology and the study of the early universe.