Kinetic Friction of moving car hitting a stationary car

Solving for v0 we get:v0=sqrt(2uk*g*deltax)Plugging in the values we get:v0=sqrt(2*0.68*9.8*47)= 24.03 km/hIn summary, the police officer estimates that the initial speed of the moving car was 24 km/h based on the damage done from the accident. Using the coefficient of kinetic friction, the skid marks, and the equations for force and kinetic energy, the initial speed can be calculated to be 24.03 km/h.
orange03

Homework Statement

A police officer investigating an accident estimates from the damage done that a moving car hit a stationary car at 24 km/h. If the moving car left skid marks 47 m long, and if the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.68, what was the initial speed of the moving car? (The answer is in km/h.)

Homework Equations

F=ma
Vx^2=Vox^2+2ax(deltax)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found acceleration by putting uk(mg)=max. I got 6.66 m/s^2 for acceleration. I plugged it into the kinematic equation Vx^2=Vox^2+2ax(deltax) and got 24.11 m/s for initial velocity. Then, I converted it into km/h and got 86.81 km/h. But, the answer is wrong and I don't know how to do it the correct way.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd use conservation of energy.

Work done by friction = change in kinetic energy of the car

Wf=ukN

Your approach is correct, however there may be some small errors in your calculations. It is always a good idea to double check your work and make sure all units are consistent throughout. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct values for mass and gravity in your calculation of the normal force (uk(mg)=max).

Another approach to solving this problem is to use the equation Ff = ukN to find the frictional force acting on the car. Since the car is skidding, the frictional force must be equal to the force of kinetic friction (Ff = Fk). From there, you can use the equation F=ma to find the acceleration of the car and then use the kinematic equation to solve for the initial velocity.

It is also important to note that the coefficient of kinetic friction (uk) may vary depending on the surfaces of the two cars involved in the collision. So, the answer you calculated may be slightly different from the actual initial velocity of the moving car.

Related to Kinetic Friction of moving car hitting a stationary car

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is moving against another surface or object.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction only occurs when an object is in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest. Additionally, the force of kinetic friction is typically less than the force of static friction.

3. How is kinetic friction calculated?

Kinetic friction can be calculated using the formula Fk = μk * N, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces.

4. How does kinetic friction affect a moving car hitting a stationary car?

Kinetic friction between the two cars will cause them to slow down and eventually come to a stop. This is because the force of kinetic friction acts in the opposite direction of the cars' motion, reducing their speed and causing them to lose kinetic energy.

5. Can the coefficient of kinetic friction be changed?

Yes, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be changed by altering the surface properties of the objects in contact or by introducing a lubricant between the surfaces. Smooth surfaces will have a lower coefficient of kinetic friction compared to rough surfaces, and the addition of a lubricant can significantly reduce the coefficient of kinetic friction.