Kinetic energy with effective mass

In summary, the conversation discusses how to write the kinetic energy operator as a matrix within a finite element approach for electrons moving in a crystal with a position-dependent effective mass. The operator is a sum of a second derivative and a first derivative of the wavefunction, with different approximations for the first derivative. It is important to use the effective mass point in the middle between the two wavefunction points for a more accurate approximation.
aaaa202
I want to write the kinetic energy operator as a matrix within a finite element approach for electrons moving in a crystal with some effective mass that is a function of position.
Now usually we have:
K = -ħ2/2m d2/dx2
such that the second order derivative of a wavefunction maybe written as:
d2/dx2 = 2/(xi+1-xi-1)* (ψi+1i)/(xi+1-xi) - (ψii-1)/(xi-xi-1))
But for electrons moving in a crystal where the effective mass depends on the spatial coordinate, then the kinetic energy operator is:
K = -ħ2/2 d/dx(1/m*(x) d/dx)
How can I write this in a finite element approach? Do I just put 1/mi in front of ψi etc.? I tried that but it gives some funny results that do not seem physical. In the problem I am solving the effective mass makes a large jump from one grid point to the next, so maybe this could cause some problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Write it as the sum of a second derivative and a first derivative of psi.

You could also try ##\frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{m}\frac{d \psi}{dx}\approx \{\frac{1}{m_{i+1}}\frac{\psi_{i+2}-\psi_{i}}{x_{i+2}-x_i}-\frac{1}{m_{i-1}}\frac{\psi_i-\psi_{i-2}}{x_i-x_{i-2}}\}\frac{1}{x_{i+1}-x_{i-1}}##

okay but why is it necessary to have ψi+2 and not just ψi+1? It seems you want the effective mass point in the middle between the two wavefunction points, why is that? (I looked up an article that do the exact same as you, so I guess it is correct).

There are different ways to approximate the first derivative; e.g. you could use ##\psi'(x_i)\approx (\psi(x_{i+1})-\psi(x_i))/(x_{i+1}-x_i)##, but, it should be intuitively clear that a better approximation is ##\psi'(x_i)\approx (\psi(x_{i+1})-\psi(x_{i-1}))/(x_{i+1}-x_{i-1})##. A more formal way would be to use the Taylor expansion on the RHS and show that for the second definition, second order corrections are absent, but not for the first one (assuming that the x_i are equidistant). So you are approximating
##1/m(x_i)\psi'(x_i)## and use the central difference formula.

Last edited:

Related to Kinetic energy with effective mass

What is kinetic energy with effective mass?

Kinetic energy with effective mass is a concept in physics that describes the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It takes into account the object's mass as well as its velocity.

How is effective mass different from regular mass?

Effective mass is a property of a material that takes into account the interactions between particles within the material. It is different from regular mass, which is a measure of the amount of matter in an object.

What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy with effective mass?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy with effective mass is KE = 1/2 * meff * v2, where meff is the effective mass and v is the velocity of the object.

How is effective mass used in practical applications?

Effective mass is used in many practical applications, such as in semiconductors and in the study of materials for energy storage. It helps scientists understand the behavior of electrons and other particles in these materials.

Can effective mass change?

Yes, effective mass can change depending on the material and the conditions it is under. For example, the effective mass of electrons in a semiconductor can change with temperature and the presence of impurities.