Effective mass position dependent

In summary, the conversation discusses how to incorporate a heterostructure with varying effective mass into the Hamiltonian. The kinetic energy operator that does the job is found to be -ħ2∂/∂x[1/m*(x)∂/∂x] and the participants discuss how to prove its hermiticity using integration by parts.
aaaa202
I have some trouble understanding what to do when the effective mass in a heterostructure depends on position. Suppose for example that you have two materials, which are put together such that in one region the kinetic energy is described by one effective mass and in the other region another. How do you incorporate this into the Hamiltonian?
My first guess was to simply say that the kinetic energy is:
2/2m*(x) ∂2/∂x2
But thinking about it further I guess this does not work, since H is now no longer Hermitian necessarily. I looked up solutions for this and apparently the kinetic energy operator that does the job is:
2∂/∂x[1/m*(x)∂/∂x]
Now I am not sure how to see that this is indeed hermitian? Can anyone help me realize that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Partial integration

Hmm doing so I can move the outer derivative to the other side. But that does not prove it's hermitian? For that I want to prove that:
∫f ∂/∂x[1/m*(x)∂/∂x]g = ∫∂/∂x[1/m*(x)∂/∂x]f g

When exactly is an operator hermitian?

Hmm I think I wrote wrong. Hermiticity of an operator means that:
∫f*Ag = ∫(Af)*g
But I still don't see how integration by parts can give me this. It can move the outer derivative over to f but not the second?

That's a beginner's excercise. Show your precise steps

Related to Effective mass position dependent

1. What is "Effective mass position dependent" in physics?

"Effective mass position dependent" refers to a concept in solid state physics that describes the effective mass of an electron in a material as a function of its position. It takes into account the influence of the crystal lattice on the movement of electrons, which affects their effective mass.

2. How is effective mass position dependent calculated?

The effective mass position dependent is calculated by taking into account the variation in the electron's energy due to its position in the crystal lattice. This is typically done using mathematical models such as the Kronig-Penney model or the nearly-free electron model.

3. What is the significance of effective mass position dependent?

Effective mass position dependent is important in understanding the behavior of electrons in materials, particularly in semiconductors. It affects the electrical and thermal conductivity, as well as other properties of the material. It also plays a crucial role in the development of electronic devices such as transistors and solar cells.

4. How does effective mass position dependent differ from effective mass?

Effective mass is a concept in physics that describes the mass of an electron in a material as it moves through the crystal lattice, taking into account the influence of the lattice on its movement. Effective mass position dependent, on the other hand, takes into account the variation of this mass as a function of the electron's position in the lattice.

5. Can effective mass position dependent be measured experimentally?

Yes, effective mass position dependent can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as optical spectroscopy, cyclotron resonance, and transport measurements. These methods allow for the determination of the effective mass of an electron at different positions in the crystal lattice.