Kinematics problem that i cant seem to resolve

In summary, a truck and a car both start from rest at the same point and accelerate at different rates. The car catches up to the truck after 7.06 seconds and travels a distance of 18.8 meters. The distance traveled by the truck in this time is also 18.8 meters. The problem can be solved by setting the distance formulas for both vehicles equal to each other.
adoule

Homework Statement

A truck starts from rest and accelerates at 1 M/S*2 . 4 s later, a car accelerates from rest at the same starting point with an acceleration of 2.7 M/S*2 .

Where and when does the car catch the truck?

Homework Equations

i have tried s=ut + (1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

In 4 seconds, truck travels a distance of 0 (4) + (1/2) (1) (4)^2 = 0 + 8 = 8

now, when car starts, truck is already 8 m ahead of it.

Suppose they meet at time lapse of t seconds after car starts.
So, car travels 8 m more than the truck in t seconds.
distance traveled by car in t seconds = dist travelld by truck in t seconds + 8

0 (t) + (1/2) (2.7) (t)^2 = 0 ( t) + (1/2) (1) (t)^2 + 8

==> (t)^2 = (160) / 17
t = 3.06

hence, car catches truck at 4 + 3.06 = 7.06 seconds after truck starts.
distance traveled by car = 0 (7.06) + (1/2) (4) ( 160/17) = 18.8 metres, but that's not the anwser :s

Physics news on Phys.org
Yo, why 2 threads? I know, in theory it should speed things up :-p.

The distance the truck travels will equal the distance the car travels. Try setting your distance formulas equal to each other and see what you get.

Related to Kinematics problem that i cant seem to resolve

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is a kinematics problem?

A kinematics problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object, including its position, velocity, and acceleration, using equations and principles such as distance, time, and displacement.

3. What are some common types of kinematics problems?

Some common types of kinematics problems include projectile motion, circular motion, and motion with constant acceleration.

4. What are the key equations used in solving kinematics problems?

The key equations used in solving kinematics problems include the equations of motion (such as v = u + at and s = ut + 1/2at²), the Pythagorean theorem (a² + b² = c²), and trigonometric functions (such as sinθ = opposite/hypotenuse and cosθ = adjacent/hypotenuse).

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for kinematics?

To improve your problem-solving skills for kinematics, it is important to have a strong understanding of the basic concepts and equations, practice solving a variety of problems, and use problem-solving strategies such as drawing diagrams, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and checking your answer for reasonableness.