Kinematics problem: sliding bar.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bar with constrained endpoints and a moving point. The goal is to find the angle theta as a function of xA. The person has consulted a dynamics textbook and found a solution for the angular acceleration, but is now trying to find the angular velocity and acceleration using related rates. An error in an expression is also pointed out and being worked on.
jasc15
I have been wrestling with this problem for a few days and it is really frustrating me. The image below shows a bar of length l whose endpoints are constrained to move along the lines shown. Point A moves at a constant velocity to the right and I want to find the angle theta as a function of xA.

I dusted off my dynamics textbook, and there are many examples of this set up in the kinematics chapter, but the only analytical solution shown has the angular acceleration of the bar as a function of theta, alpha and xA.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2960/slidingbarqd2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Great, thanks! and here i thought no one was looking at this. I apprecate your work. I guess now it's a problem of related rates to find the angular velocity and angular acceleration of the bar about point A given dx/dt.

Edit: I just noticed an error. in your expression [tex]cos\theta=\dfrac{x_{A}-x_{B}}{l}[/tex] you rearranged it to show that [tex]x_{B}=-\dfrac{l\cdot cos\theta}{x_{A}}[/tex] where it should be [tex]x_{B}=x_{A}-l\cdot cos\theta[/tex]. It's still a bit ugly to play with the algebra and trig, but I'm messing with that now.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Related to Kinematics problem: sliding bar.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It focuses on the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects over time.

2. What is a sliding bar in a kinematics problem?

A sliding bar refers to an object that moves along a horizontal surface without any external force acting on it. This type of problem typically involves finding the position, velocity, or acceleration of the bar at a given time.

3. How do you solve a kinematics problem involving a sliding bar?

To solve a kinematics problem involving a sliding bar, you will need to use equations of motion such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. You will also need to consider any known values, such as the initial position or velocity of the bar, and use them to find the unknown values.

4. What are some common types of kinematics problems involving a sliding bar?

Some common types of kinematics problems involving a sliding bar include finding the distance traveled by the bar, the time it takes to reach a certain distance, or the velocity or acceleration of the bar at a specific time.

5. What are some tips for solving a kinematics problem involving a sliding bar?

Some tips for solving a kinematics problem involving a sliding bar include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, carefully labeling all known and unknown values, and using the appropriate equations of motion to solve for the unknown values. It is also important to pay attention to units and use consistent units throughout the problem.