Kinematics Problem, seemingly missing information

In summary, a backpacker reaches her destination by walking with an average velocity of 1.36 m/s due west. This average velocity is a result of hiking 5.18 km with an average velocity of 2.05 m/s due west, turning around, and hiking with an average velocity of 0.699 m/s due east. To find the distance she walked due east, the equation 1.36 = (5180 meters + distance of second part of walk)/(2526.829268 + distance of second part of walk/0.699) can be solved for the distance of the second part of walk. It is important to remember that velocity is a vector and that the eastward walk should be treated as minus
mcode

Homework Statement

In reaching her destination, a backpacker walks with an average velocity of 1.36 m/s, due west. This average velocity results, because she hikes for 5.18 km with an average velocity of 2.05 m/s due west, turns around, and hikes with an average velocity of 0.699 m/s due east. How far east did she walk (in kilometers)?

Homework Equations

avg. v = distance/time

The Attempt at a Solution

the closest i was able to get to a solution was

1.36 = (5180 meters + distance of second part of walk)/(2526.829268 + time of second part of walk)

as far as i can tell, there doesn't seem to be enough information for me to figure out the question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mcode said:
1.36 = (5180 meters + distance of second part of walk)/(2526.829268 + time of second part of walk)

as far as i can tell, there doesn't seem to be enough information for me to figure out the question.

Rewrigh the above step as
1.36 = (5180 meters + distance of second part of walk)/(2526.829268 +
distance of second part of walk/0.699) and solve the equation for distance of the second part of walk.

rl.bhat said:
Rewrigh the above step as
1.36 = (5180 meters + distance of second part of walk)/(2526.829268 +
distance of second part of walk/0.699) and solve the equation for distance of the second part of walk.

You need to remember that velocity is a vector, and that Avg velocity in this case is total displacement from the start - not total distance - divided by the total time.

The eastward walk after the westward should be treated as minus not plus, even though its contribution to total time will be plus.

[tex]1.36 = \frac{5180 - Dist}{\frac{5180}{2.05} + \frac{Dist}{.699}}[/tex]

Last edited:
thanks for the help guys

Related to Kinematics Problem, seemingly missing information

1. What is Kinematics Problem?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion of objects without considering the causes of motion.

2. What do you mean by seemingly missing information in Kinematics Problems?

Seemingly missing information in Kinematics Problems refers to the data or variables that are not explicitly given in the problem but can be derived or calculated using the given information.

3. How can I solve a Kinematics Problem with seemingly missing information?

To solve a Kinematics Problem with seemingly missing information, you can use equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, and apply algebraic manipulation to isolate the missing variable.

4. Is it necessary to have all the information given in a Kinematics Problem?

No, it is not necessary to have all the information given in a Kinematics Problem. As long as you have enough information to determine the missing variable, you can solve the problem.

5. How do I know if I have solved a Kinematics Problem correctly?

You can check if you have solved a Kinematics Problem correctly by plugging in your calculated values into the original equations and seeing if they satisfy the given information. You can also compare your answer with the expected answer to see if they match.