Kinematics Problem on a particle

In summary, the motion of a human body through space can be described by modeling it as the motion of a particle at the body's center of mass. The vector position of an athlete's center of mass during a jump can be determined using two equations, where the time t represents the moment when the athlete lands after taking off at t=0. The first equation calculates the displacement along the x-axis, while the second equation calculates the displacement along the y-axis. The values for t and x can be solved for using these equations, but the value for y is not provided and therefore cannot be determined.
zewei1988

Homework Statement

The motion of a human body through space can be modeled as the motion of a particle at the body's center of mass. The components of the position of an athlete's center of mass from the beginning to the end of a certain jump are described by the following two equations, where t is the time at which the athlete lands after taking off at t = 0.
xf = 0 + (10.6 m/s)(cos 18.5°)t
0.230 m = 0.600 m + 0 + (10.6 m/s)(sin 18.5°)t - (9.80 m/s2)t2

Identify his vector position.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve for t in the second equation and got a value of 0.783s, after which I put this value into the first equation and solve for x and got 7.87m for the i direction. I did not really know what to put in for the displacement along the y-axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
zewei1988 said:
0.230 m = 0.600 m + 0 + (10.6 m/s)(sin 18.5°)t - (9.80 m/s2)t2

Where did this equation come from and what does it mean?

it was just given. Anyway i got the answer. they were asking for the initial displacement. thanks for your help. is there anyway to close this thread?

No closure.

Related to Kinematics Problem on a particle

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the causes of the motion.

2. What is a particle in kinematics?

In kinematics, a particle is a point-like object with no size or shape that is used to represent an object in motion.

3. What are the three basic quantities used in kinematics?

The three basic quantities used in kinematics are displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

4. How do you solve a kinematics problem on a particle?

To solve a kinematics problem on a particle, you need to identify the given information, choose appropriate equations, and substitute the values correctly to solve for the unknown quantity.

5. What are the different types of motion in kinematics?

The different types of motion in kinematics are linear motion, circular motion, and projectile motion.