Kinematics Problem: Finding Initial Velocity of a Basketball Thrown at an Angle

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with Kinematics that the speaker needs help with for their upcoming finals. They ask for assistance in solving a question involving a basketball player throwing a ball into a hoop. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of using a homework template and showing what steps have been taken in attempting to solve the problem. It suggests using the concepts of constant force and uniform motion to solve for the initial velocity of the ball. The conversation concludes by stressing the importance of showing one's own work when seeking help.
Mgh3
Hey, so I've been having some problems with Kinematics in reviewing for my finals next week! One question in particular I need help with, because I don't know how to solve it, and I am very bad at conveying my solutions on tests. Can anyone give me a hand? The question is : a basketball player is standing 9.5m from the basket which is at a height of 3.1m. She throws the ball from an initial height of 2.0m at an angle of 35 degrees above horizontal. The ball goes straight through the basket. Find v initial.

Physics news on Phys.org
Be sure to use the HW template, which every user must use to get HW Help. You also need to know what you tried so far, so we can assist you.

You want to know how to solve it. Think of a few things you should have learned in this context and apply them in a reasonable manner.
There is a constant force in the vertical direction, so you get an expression for height as a function of time. Take t_throwing = 0 and leave t_ball_in_hoop as unknown.
No force horizontally, so: uniform motion at a constant speed. Two expressions with two unknowns only: t_ball_in_hoop and v_initial. Solve for v_initial.
By the way, I agree with NasuSama: you get better help if the helpers see what you've done by yourself and where you get stuck.

Related to Kinematics Problem: Finding Initial Velocity of a Basketball Thrown at an Angle

1. What is kinematics in grade 12 physics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves concepts such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is the difference between distance and displacement in kinematics?

Distance is a scalar quantity that refers to the total length an object has traveled, while displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the straight-line distance between an object's starting and ending point.

3. How is velocity calculated in kinematics?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in displacement by the change in time. It is a vector quantity that includes both the magnitude (speed) and direction of an object's motion.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in kinematics?

Speed is a scalar quantity that refers to the rate of change of distance, while velocity is a vector quantity that refers to the rate of change of displacement. Speed does not take into account direction, while velocity does.

5. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration in kinematics?

Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, while instantaneous acceleration refers to the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration provides an overall view of an object's motion, while instantaneous acceleration gives a more detailed understanding of the object's motion at a particular point in time.