Basketball Physics Question (kinematics, really )

In summary, the conversation is about a basketball physics question regarding the initial speed and height of a ball thrown by player A in a drawing. Player B tries to block the ball but is unable to touch it. Using the trajectory formula and given measurements, the initial speed is calculated to be unknown and the height of the ball as soon as it passes over player B is 3 meters. The conversation also mentions that the block in the drawing is illegal, but for the sake of physics, it will be ignored.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Basketball Physics Question (kinematics, really :) )

(I'll get back to electronics later... :) )

Homework Statement

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/5468/bballdrawing.jpg In this drawing is depicted a quick shot from a part in a basketball game. In the drawing you see player A throwing the ball and the ball went precisely into the basket. (C)

You can see player B tried to block the ball but could not touch it.

Calculate

A) The initial speed of the ball
B) The height of the ball as soon as it passes over player B

Note: Ignore the size of the ball

Measurements are in meters

Homework Equations

Kinematics

The Attempt at a Solution

First off this is clearly goaltending therefor the block is illegal. But, I'll ignore that for the sake of physics.

I used the trajectory formula (I'm not sure how this formula is really called)

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/174/traj.jpg And then I just plugged in the figures.

alpha = 30 degrees
y0 = 2.1m
x0 = 0
x = 9m
y = 3m
v0 = ?
h = ?

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5097/basketballq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I think you forgot to take the square root at the end there.

*smacks forehead*

Thank you! I'm just new to projectile motion so I automatically think that I made a mistake somewhere...

Related to Basketball Physics Question (kinematics, really )

1. What is the relationship between the force applied to a basketball and its acceleration?

The relationship between force and acceleration in basketball is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the greater the force applied to a basketball, the greater its acceleration will be. This means that a basketball will accelerate more quickly if a stronger force is applied to it, such as when it is being thrown or bounced with more force.

2. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a basketball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the trajectory of a basketball. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to the air molecules colliding with its surface. This force can cause the ball to slow down and change direction, leading to a curved path instead of a straight one. The amount of air resistance depends on factors such as the size and shape of the basketball, its speed, and the density of the air.

3. What is the optimal angle for shooting a basketball?

The optimal angle for shooting a basketball is around 45 degrees. This angle allows the ball to travel the maximum distance while still having a high chance of making it into the hoop. Shooting at a lower angle will result in a shorter distance, while shooting at a higher angle may cause the ball to hit the backboard or rim and potentially miss the basket.

4. How does the mass of a basketball affect its movement?

The mass of a basketball can affect its movement in several ways. As mentioned earlier, according to Newton's Second Law, the mass of an object is inversely proportional to its acceleration. This means that a heavier basketball will require a greater force to accelerate it to the same speed as a lighter basketball. Additionally, a heavier basketball will have more inertia, meaning it will be more difficult to change its direction or stop its motion once it is in motion.

5. How does the coefficient of friction between a basketball and the court affect its movement?

The coefficient of friction between a basketball and the court can greatly affect its movement. Friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object, and the coefficient of friction is a measure of how much friction there is between two surfaces. In basketball, a higher coefficient of friction between the ball and the court means that the ball will have more grip on the court and will not slide as easily. This can affect how the ball bounces and moves on the court, and may also impact the player's ability to control the ball and make accurate shots.