Kinematics: Initial Velocity, Acceleration, Displacement & Time

• Thread starter SSundee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation centers around the relationships between initial velocity, acceleration, displacement, and time in 1-D and 2-D problems. The question posed is about the relationship between time taken for two cars to stop, given their different accelerations. The solution involves using equations and understanding the given information in order to find the desired relationship. The speaker thanks the expert for the helpful explanation and plans to practice more to improve their understanding.
SSundee
Hello All,

A lot of you are probably physics majors so this question will sound dumb to you, but I am just in A.P. Physics 1 in high school... we are learning projectile motion and the teacher is not the best at explaining it. We had our first test a few days ago, everyone bombed it, and he didn't care...:L... anyway, the reason we all tripped up is because we had a lot of conceptual questions instead of plugging in numbers into formulas like we practiced. I know it's really crucial to know these things so here's my question: what are the relationships among initial velocity, acceleration, displacement, and time in 1-D problems? The same goes for 2-D problems (except that there are two numbers for each value in x and y). "Two cars are traveling with the same velocity, they step on the brake at the same time, except one twice as much (with a 2x acceleration). What is the relationship in the time that it takes the two cars to stop?" I guess what I'm going at is what are the correlations between all of these factors, I think it will help me for my tests, and for my understanding of conceptual physics.

Thank you all so much for your help. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a dumb question, I am also not far out of high school and can relate. Hopefully my answer can help a little.

The relationships can be seen by using equations.

For example, using the question you posed: You can use the equation v = u + a*t rearranged to t = (v-u) / a

You know that the two cars have the same initial velocity (u). The final velocity is also the same - because you are measuring the time it takes for cars to stop (i.e. v = 0 m/s). Lastly, you have a(1) = 2*a(2) where a(1) is acceleration of car 1 and is twice that of car 2 (the one and two in brackets are meant to be subscripts).

So the time it takes for car one is t(1) = (v-u)/a(1) = (v-u)/(2*a(2)) and the time it takes for car 2 is t(2) = (v-u)/a(2)

Take the ratio t(2)/t(1) (or the other way round, it doesn't really matter) and you will get t(2)/t(1) = (v-u)/a(2) * 2*a(2)/(v-u)

The (v-u) and a(2) cancels to give you t(2)/t(1) = 2 and this tells you that car 2 (which accelerates half as fast as car 1) takes twice as long to come to rest. If you took t(1)/t(2) you would end up with car 1 taking half as long to come to rest, which is an equivalent answer. Conceptually, it makes sense because if you slow down half as fast you expect to take twice as long (but you'll probably still be expected to show it mathematically!).

---

When you are presented with a problem, it is always helpful to first take note of the information that is given. In the example above, you are told initial velocity, final velocity, and ratio of acceleration. (But don't automatically assume that all the information included will be relevant to the solution.)

Then, always ask yourself: what is the question asking you to do? Here the question asks you to find the relationship between time taken by the cars.

Lastly, is there a formula that links the information you are given to an unknown that you are trying to find?

Last edited:
Thank you so much! That helped a lot, I wish my teacher would take time to explain that! Thanks again, I will try to do a bunch of practice to get used to the thought processes. :D

Related to Kinematics: Initial Velocity, Acceleration, Displacement & Time

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It focuses on describing the positions, velocities, accelerations, and time intervals of objects as they move.

2. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity, also known as initial speed, is the velocity of an object at the beginning of a motion. It is typically denoted as v0 or u and is measured in meters per second (m/s).

3. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time and is calculated using the equation a = (v - u) / t, where a is acceleration, v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, and t is time. Acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

4. What is displacement?

Displacement is the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Displacement is typically denoted as d and is measured in meters (m).

5. How does time affect kinematics?

Time is a crucial component of kinematics as it is used to measure the duration of a motion and is included in various equations, such as those for velocity, acceleration, and displacement. It allows us to analyze and describe the motion of objects in a given timeframe.