Kinematics in 1D. I with setting up the question

In summary: I understand it now. I was trying to use the general equation but I was getting mixed up with the signs. Thank you for your help!In summary, the problem involves two stones being thrown simultaneously, one upward and one downward from a cliff with a height of 6.00m. Both stones are thrown with the same speed of 9.0m/s. To find the location where they cross paths, the equation y = Vot + 1/2at^2 is used, with h representing the height of the cliff and v representing the initial velocity of the stones. By setting the equations for the upward and downward stones equal to each other and solving for time (t), the point of intersection is found to be at
hey123a

Homework Statement

Two stones are thrown simultaneously, one straight upward from the base of a cliff and the other straight downward from the top of the cliff. The height of the cliff is 6.00m. The stones are thrown with the same speed of 9.0m/s. Find the location (above the base of the cliff) of the point where the stones cross paths.

h = 6.00m
v = 9.0m/s

The answer to the question is
h = 2.45m
t = 1/3

Homework Equations

y = Vot + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Yup = Vot + 1/2at^2
Yup = 9.0t + 1/2(-9.8)t^2
Yup = 9.0t - 4.9t^2

Ydown = h - (Vot + 1/2at^2)
Ydown = 6 - [(-9.0)t + 1/2(-9.8)t^2)]
Ydown = 6 - [-9.0t - 4.9t^2]
Ydown = 6 + 9.0t + 4.9t^2

Cross paths when:
Yup = Ydown
9.0t - 4.9t^2 = 6 + 9.0t + 4.9t^2
-4.9t^2 = 6 + 4.9t^2
-6 = 9.8t^2
t = 0.24999, this is already wrong since the answer for t = 1/3

But I get the right answer for time when I solve this way:
Yup = Ydown
9.0t - 4.9t^2 = 6 - [-9.0t - 4.9t^2]
9.0t = 6-(-9.0t)
18t = 6-0
18t = 6
t = 6/18
t = 1/3

However, when I go to find the height I get different answers:
Ydown = 6 - [-9.0t - 4.9t^2]
Ydown = 6 - [-9.0(1/3) - 4.9(1/3^2)]
Ydown = 3.54444

Yup = 9.0t - 4.9t^2
Yup = 9.0(1/3) - 4.9(1/3^2)
Yup = 2.456

I need help understanding what I'm doing wrong. I've learned that positive values are always objects that move towards the positive x-axis or upwards. And I've learned that negative values are always objects that move towards the negative x-axis or downwards

Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression for ##Y_{\text{down}}## is not correct. The correct expression is ##Y_{\text{down}} = h + v_0 t + \frac 1 2 t^2##. Then you substitute the values for ##h##, ##v_0## and ##a## into it, minding their signs.

voko said:
Your expression for ##Y_{\text{down}}## is not correct. The correct expression is ##Y_{\text{down}} = h + v_0 t + \frac 1 2 t^2##. Then you substitute the values for ##h##, ##v_0## and ##a## into it, minding their signs.

Why is it h+ and not h-?
Shouldn't it be h- because the value of Ydown must be less than 6?

The general equation for displacement with uniform acceleration is ##s = s_0 + v_0 t + \frac 1 2 a t^2 ##. No minus signs in it.

When you apply it to a problem, certain constants in the equation may have minus signs. For example, one frequently has ## a = -g ##, so instead of ## + \frac 1 2 a t^2 ## one gets ## - \frac 1 2 g t^2 ##. Likewise, if initial velocity is downward, ##v_0## becomes ## -v_0##. But it is important to be consistent and not apply minus signs twice, like you did.

Don't try to be smarter than it needs. Start with the general equation. Plug in the constants. Mind their signs. Solve.

Likes 1 person
voko said:
The general equation for displacement with uniform acceleration is ##s = s_0 + v_0 t + \frac 1 2 a t^2 ##. No minus signs in it.

When you apply it to a problem, certain constants in the equation may have minus signs. For example, one frequently has ## a = -g ##, so instead of ## + \frac 1 2 a t^2 ## one gets ## - \frac 1 2 g t^2 ##. Likewise, if initial velocity is downward, ##v_0## becomes ## -v_0##. But it is important to be consistent and not apply minus signs twice, like you did.

Don't try to be smarter than it needs. Start with the general equation. Plug in the constants. Mind their signs. Solve.
Ahh thank you!

Related to Kinematics in 1D. I with setting up the question

1. What is kinematics in 1D?

Kinematics in 1D is the study of motion in one dimension, specifically in a straight line. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object without considering the forces that may be acting on it.

2. What are the basic equations used in kinematics in 1D?

The three main equations used in kinematics in 1D are:
- Position: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
- Velocity: v = v0 + at
- Acceleration: a = (v - v0) / t
Where x is the position, x0 is the initial position, v is the velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

3. How is displacement different from distance in kinematics in 1D?

In kinematics in 1D, displacement refers to the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position. It is a vector quantity and includes both magnitude and direction. Distance, on the other hand, refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object and is a scalar quantity. It does not take into account the direction of motion.

4. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken to travel that distance. It is a measure of the overall rate of motion. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, refers to the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is calculated by taking the limit of the average velocity as the time interval approaches zero.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion in kinematics in 1D?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. If an object has a constant acceleration, its velocity will change by the same amount every second. This means that the object's velocity will increase or decrease by a certain amount every second, depending on the direction of the acceleration. If the acceleration is zero, the object's velocity will remain constant. A positive acceleration will result in a speeding up of the object's motion, while a negative acceleration will result in a slowing down of the object's motion.