Kinematics - centrifuging a solution with bacteria

In summary: So, your time is not going to be 14.3 seconds. So, your answer is wrong. If you are not sure about the arithmetic, then use a calculator to do the computation.In summary, when separating bacteria from a solution through centrifugation, the bacteria will settle to the bottom of the container due to their higher mass. The rate of centrifugation is measured in relative centrifugal force (xg) and in this case, the bacteria are spun at 100 xg. To calculate the time it takes for the bacteria to pellet to the bottom of a
kenji1992
Kinematics -- centrifuging a solution with bacteria

Homework Statement

In the lab, we have to separate the bacteria from the solution by centrifuging the solution with bacteria. Because the bacteria are more massive than the media molecules, they settle to the bottom of the container.
For this question, we will neglect friction or resistance from the buffer (we will see it later).
If the bacteria are spun at 100 xg, how long will it take for the bacteria to pellet to the bottom of a 10 cm centrifuge bottle?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that I have to find the time (t)

I have no idea what 100 xg is--what is the unit 'xg'?

Is 10 cm relevant to the question?

If possible, can I be referred to another version of this problem or tutorial? I'm not sure what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
100 xg should be written as ##100 \times g##, or just ## 100 g ##, where ##g## is the acceleration due to gravity at sea level.

So, t=?
Acceleration=100g
final velocity=10cm/s
initial velocity=0cm/s

acceleration=velocity/time
100g=10 cm/s-0cm/s / t
100g = 10 cm/s /t
t = 10 cm/s / 100 g
t=10 s
Is that right?

Welcome to PF;
[edit] beat me to it :)
the xg value is the "relative centrifugal force", usually written "100 x g" (a la voko) and read: "one hundred times gravity"
You'll see it in centrifuge specs all the time and it's one of the ways biologists annoy physicists who think that "100g" is clear enough.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laboratory_centrifuge

The 10cm is relevant to the question.

Basically: where do the bacteria start out?
where do they end up?
how do they get there (what are the forces)?
how long do they take?

Ok.

I'll assume that 10cm refers to displacement.
d1 = 0 cm
d2 = 10cm
acceleration=100 * 9.8 m/s^2
time=?

So would I use this equation?
vf=vi + a*t

but I'm not sure how that would work with displacement, as opposed to velocity?

Last edited:
You need an equation that relates displacement with acceleration and time.

This equation then: d = vi*t + 1/2at^2?

10 cm=0.1m

0.1m=0m/s*t + 1/2*980m/s^2 * t^2
0.1m=1/2*980m/s^2 * t^2
0.1 m = 490 m/s^2 * t^2
0.1m/490 m/s^2 = t^2
0.1/490 s^2 = t^2
sqrt 0.1/490 = t

Good so far.

@voko What else is missing? Do I only have to simplify what I wrote?

I do not see the final number for time.

t = 14.3 seconds

No. Not even close. Many orders of magnitude off.

Magnitude means measurement, right?

No.
In general: "magnitude" is a generalization of the concept of "length" as in "the magnitude of a vector"
... but in this specific case the term "order of magnitude" means "power of ten".

So if I said the answer was 5 and it was really 5000 ... I'd be three orders of magnitude off.
If I'd said the answer was 3000 ... I'd have the right order of magnitude but still the wrong answer.
(Order-of-magnitude calculations are often used for exploring an idea.)
This is different from if I'd have said the answer was 3 ... when I'd just be completely wrong.

Voko is saying you need to check your arithmetic.

Related to Kinematics - centrifuging a solution with bacteria

1. How does centrifugation separate bacteria from a solution?

Centrifugation works by spinning the solution at high speeds, causing the bacteria to move towards the bottom of the tube due to their higher density. This separates the bacteria from the rest of the solution, which can then be easily removed.

2. What factors affect the efficiency of centrifugation for separating bacteria?

The efficiency of centrifugation for separating bacteria depends on factors such as the speed of the centrifuge, the size and shape of the centrifuge tube, and the density of the bacteria relative to the solution. Additionally, the presence of any debris or impurities in the solution can affect the separation process.

3. Is centrifugation a reliable method for isolating bacteria?

Yes, centrifugation is a commonly used and effective method for isolating bacteria from a solution. However, it may not be suitable for all types of bacteria and may need to be combined with other techniques for optimal results.

4. Can centrifugation damage the bacteria?

If done carefully and at appropriate speeds, centrifugation should not cause significant damage to the bacteria. However, if the speed is too high or the process is prolonged, it can potentially damage the bacterial cells.

5. What are the potential applications of centrifuging a solution with bacteria?

Centrifugation can be used for various applications in the study of bacteria, such as isolating pure cultures for further analysis, separating different bacterial species from a mixed sample, and concentrating bacteria for various experiments or procedures.