Solving Stone Falling on Earth: Coriolis & Centrifugal Forces

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the problem at hand is to determine the distance and direction that a stone will fall from a tower on Earth, taking into account the Coriolis force while neglecting the centrifugal acceleration. The solution for this problem can be found in a book, but the individual is curious about how to also incorporate the Earth's radius to consider the centrifugal acceleration. The equations used for this problem involve the fixed coordinate system and the rotating one, with the symbol "F" representing the fixed system and "R" representing the rotating one. The equations also include the vector for position, with the Earth's radius being limited. The individual questions whether both systems should have the same origin and if it is possible to solve the problem with different origins
Karol

Homework Statement

A stone falls from a tower on some latitude on earth, like in the picture. how far from the base and in which direction will it fall.
We take into account the Coriolis force, but neglect the centrifugal acceleration since it's small.
The problem is solved in a book, but i want to know if and how we take in consideration the Earth's radius if i want to take into account the centrifugal acceleration also.

Homework Equations

The "F" notation is for the fixed coordinate system and "R" for the rotating one.
[tex]\vec{a}_R=\vec{a}_F-2\vec{\omega}\times\vec{V}_R-\vec{\omega}\times\left(\vec{\omega}\times \vec{r} \right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\vec{r}=x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z}[/tex]
According to this notating we don't have the radius of the earth.
Also the teacher said that we search for the centrifugal force on a rotating object that is itself in a rotating frame, so, according to the relative acceleration formulas:
[tex] \vec{a}_1=\omega^2\left(\vec{R}_e+\vec{r}_1 \right) [/tex]
[tex] \vec{a}_{2}=\omega^2\left(\vec{R}_e+\vec{r}_2 \right) [/tex]
[tex] \vec{a}_{12}=\vec{a}_2-\vec{a}_1=\omega^2\left(\vec{r}_2-\vec{r}_1 \right) [/tex]
And the Earth's radius is limited.
But i don't think so, since the centrifugal force on the stone is according to the Earth's radius.
And, tell me if i am wrong, the centrifugal (and also coriolis) forces are dependent, according to this calculation, on the choice of the rotating system's base, the nearer to the center of the Earth the stronger the forces, but the force on the stone is one.
Shouldn't i have chosen both, the rotating and the fixed systems to share the same origin? is it possible to solve such questions with different origins?
I don't know what is wrong, i cannot write those 3 equations as tex, can anyone tell me why?

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The last sentence should be erased, i succeeded to write the equations in Tex

Related to Solving Stone Falling on Earth: Coriolis & Centrifugal Forces

What is the Coriolis force and how does it affect falling stones on Earth?

The Coriolis force is an inertial force that appears to act on objects in motion on a rotating surface. It is caused by the Earth's rotation and affects the trajectory of falling objects by deflecting them to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere.

How does the centrifugal force play a role in the path of falling stones on Earth?

The centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on objects in circular motion. While it does not directly affect the path of falling stones, it does contribute to the rotation of the Earth and therefore influences the Coriolis force, which in turn affects the trajectory of falling objects.

Is the Coriolis force stronger than the centrifugal force in deflecting falling stones on Earth?

No, the Coriolis force is not necessarily stronger than the centrifugal force in this scenario. The strength of both forces depends on various factors such as the latitude and velocity of the falling stone, as well as the distance from the center of the Earth.

Are there any other factors besides Coriolis and centrifugal forces that affect the path of falling stones on Earth?

Yes, there are other factors that can influence the path of falling stones on Earth, such as air resistance, the shape and mass of the stone, and the angle at which it is released. These factors can all contribute to the overall trajectory and landing point of the stone.

Can the Coriolis and centrifugal forces be ignored when calculating the trajectory of falling stones on Earth?

No, the Coriolis and centrifugal forces cannot be ignored as they play a significant role in determining the path of falling objects on a rotating Earth. Accurate calculations and predictions of the trajectory of falling stones must take these forces into account in order to properly understand and explain their behavior.