Kinematics Basics: Solving a & b with a=-8m/sec2

In summary, the problem asks to determine the time when the velocity is zero and the velocity and total distance traveled when t = 11. To solve this, the formula s(t) = (1/2) a t² + C t + D is used, where C is the initial velocity and D is the initial displacement. By plugging in the given points, C and D can be determined, and then formula (*) can be used to find the time when the velocity is zero and the velocity and total distance traveled when t = 11.
adoado

Homework Statement

The acceleration of a particle is defined by a = -8 m/sec2. Knowing that x = 20 when t = 4 and x = 4 when v = 16, determine:

• The time when the velocity is zero
  • The velocity and the total distance traveled when t = 11

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think once I get part 'a' I can do part 'b'. Here is my attempt:

a = -8m/sec2
So
V = -8t + C.

How can I get C? Do I need to use another representation of acceleration? I am not sure where to go.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Adrian

Physics news on Phys.org
C is the velocity at time t = 0.
I would suggest using the formula
s(t) = (1/2) a t² + C t + D (*)
where C is the velocity v(0) at time t = 0 and D is the displacement s(0) at t = 0.

If you plug in the two given points you can determine C and D. Then you can use both formula (note that v(t) = -8t + C will actually be the derivative of formula (*) above).

Related to Kinematics Basics: Solving a & b with a=-8m/sec2

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How is kinematics related to solving a & b with a=-8m/sec2?

Kinematics is used to describe the motion of an object, including its acceleration (a) and initial velocity (b). In this case, the equation a=-8m/sec2 represents a constant acceleration of -8 meters per second squared.

3. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s2).

4. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity, also known as initial speed, is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion. It is usually represented by the variable b or u.

5. How do you solve for a & b using kinematics?

To solve for a & b using kinematics, you can use the equations of motion, such as v=u+at and s=ut+1/2at2, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, t is the time, and s is the displacement. Plug in the known values and solve for the unknown variables.