Kierkegaard said faith is the acceptance of objective uncertainty

In summary, Kierkegaard said faith is the acceptance of objective uncertainty. This definition appears quite vague, as he separates between belief and faith. He goes beyond simple belief with regards to his discussions on faith, saying that it requires a 'leap of faith'. Atheism is not faith, as it is a lack of belief, however, K's 'aesthetic stage' would be a mixture of belief and atheism.
jamesb-uk
Kierkegaard said faith is "the acceptance of objective uncertainty"

I have 2 questions about Kierkegaard:
1.Kierkegaard said faith is "the acceptance of objective uncertainty", his point being that we cannot be certain about the validity of our beliefs, and there will always be a 'leap of faith' to overcome the irrational aspects of the belief, which cannot be logically justified.
This definition appears quite vague. How does he distinguish between the belief that, say, 'My car is on the drive', and religious beliefs? Would he class atheism as a 'faith'?

2.Does Kierkegaard distinguish between faith and belief, and if so, how?

Physics news on Phys.org

jamesb-uk said:
I have 2 questions about Kierkegaard:
1.Kierkegaard said faith is "the acceptance of objective uncertainty", his point being that we cannot be certain about the validity of our beliefs, and there will always be a 'leap of faith' to overcome the irrational aspects of the belief, which cannot be logically justified.
This definition appears quite vague. How does he distinguish between the belief that, say, 'My car is on the drive', and religious beliefs? Would he class atheism as a 'faith'?

K goes beyond simple belief with regards to his discussions on faith. I could honestly and wholeheartedly believe that my car was on the road, in the shop, or in Peru. However, it requires faith, to believe that my car is a mouse named Bill. Saying my car is a mouse named Bill, is absurd. And that is the kind of belief he is talking about, belief in the absurd, because it is absurd. That is the leap of faith.

Atheism is a lack of belief, so no, its not faith, it would be part of K's 'aesthetic stage'.

JoeDawg said:
K goes beyond simple belief with regards to his discussions on faith. I could honestly and wholeheartedly believe that my car was on the road, in the shop, or in Peru. However, it requires faith, to believe that my car is a mouse named Bill. Saying my car is a mouse named Bill, is absurd. And that is the kind of belief he is talking about, belief in the absurd, because it is absurd. That is the leap of faith.

Atheism is a lack of belief, so no, its not faith, it would be part of K's 'aesthetic stage'.

Thanks, I understand it better now.

Related to Kierkegaard said faith is the acceptance of objective uncertainty

1. What did Kierkegaard mean by "faith is the acceptance of objective uncertainty"?

Kierkegaard believed that true faith is the acceptance of uncertainty, rather than blind belief or unquestioning certainty. This means having faith in something despite not having concrete evidence or proof, and being willing to embrace the unknown and trust in a higher power or purpose.

2. How does Kierkegaard's idea of faith differ from traditional religious beliefs?

Kierkegaard's concept of faith goes against the traditional notion of having complete certainty and unquestioning belief in religious doctrines. He believed that true faith involves acknowledging and accepting the uncertainty and mystery of life and religion, rather than trying to find absolute answers and explanations.

3. Can one have faith without accepting uncertainty?

No, according to Kierkegaard, faith cannot exist without accepting uncertainty. He believed that true faith requires a leap into the unknown and a willingness to embrace the mystery and uncertainty of life and religion.

4. How does Kierkegaard's idea of faith relate to scientific thinking?

Kierkegaard's concept of faith may seem contradictory to scientific thinking, which is based on evidence and rationality. However, some scientists argue that faith can coexist with scientific thinking, as both involve an acceptance of uncertainty and a willingness to explore and question the unknown.

5. Is Kierkegaard's idea of faith relevant in modern society?

Many people still find Kierkegaard's idea of faith relevant in modern society, as it offers an alternative perspective to traditional religious beliefs. In a world where uncertainty and doubt are common, his concept of faith can provide a sense of meaning and purpose, even in the face of uncertainty.