Kepler's Third Law: Eliptical Orbits & Planet Masses

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between how Kepler's third law was taught in school versus the definition of the law and its use in calculations. The conversation also mentions the addition of planet mass in the equation for solving problems related to orbital motion.
dilan
I don't know but in school I learned it in a different way. I mean in school the Kepler's third law was thought as if all the orbits were circular. But according to the definition its all elleptical, and in the school equation we won't add the planets mass, but here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_third_law

The planet mass is also added.
So I am not sure what kind of equation I should use to solve sums?

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Two points:
(a) A circle is special kind of ellipse; I'm sure you instructor approximated the orbits as circular just to keep the calculations easier.
(b) The masses are added in turning Kepler's 3rd law from a statement of proportionality to an equality; it goes beyond Kepler's original law by adding Newton's model of universal gravity.​

I don't know what you mean by "solve sums".

Hi

Doc Al said:
Two points:
(a) A circle is special kind of ellipse; I'm sure you instructor approximated the orbits as circular just to keep the calculations easier.
(b) The masses are added in turning Kepler's 3rd law from a statement of proportionality to an equality; it goes beyond Kepler's original law by adding Newton's model of universal gravity.​

I don't know what you mean by "solve sums".

Hi
Thanks a lot for replying. We finished orbital motion just 3 days ago and he gave us a work sheet with problems to solve. I think your correct, he approximated the orbits as circular to keep thinngs simple. The equation that I am using is
4pi^2r^3/GM

r- radius of orbit
M - mass of the center object

Thanks

Related to Kepler's Third Law: Eliptical Orbits & Planet Masses

1. What is Kepler's Third Law?

Kepler's Third Law, also known as the harmonic law, states that the square of a planet's orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. This means that the farther a planet is from its star, the longer it takes to complete one orbit.

2. How does Kepler's Third Law relate to elliptical orbits?

Kepler's Third Law applies to all types of orbits, including elliptical orbits. In an elliptical orbit, the distance between the planet and the star varies, but the average distance is used to calculate the semi-major axis. Therefore, the orbital period and semi-major axis are still connected by Kepler's Third Law.

3. Can Kepler's Third Law be applied to all planets?

Yes, Kepler's Third Law can be applied to all planets in our solar system and beyond. It is a fundamental law of planetary motion and has been observed in the orbits of all planets, including those in other solar systems.

4. How is Kepler's Third Law used to determine planet masses?

By using Kepler's Third Law and measuring the orbital period and semi-major axis of a planet, scientists can calculate the planet's mass. This is done by rearranging the equation to solve for the planet's mass, which is then compared to the mass of the star to determine the planet's proportionate size.

5. Are there any exceptions to Kepler's Third Law?

While Kepler's Third Law is a fundamental law of planetary motion, there are some exceptions to its application. In very close or highly eccentric orbits, other factors such as gravitational interactions with neighboring planets may affect the orbital period. However, for the majority of planets, Kepler's Third Law holds true.