KD calculations (Organic chem lab)

In summary: Haha, good job! So, chloroform is used to extract caffeine from water. If the distribution coefficient, KD=10, then relative volume of chloroform-water should be used to extract 90% of the caffeine present in one single extraction.
ChemDoodle
Chloroform is used to extract caffeine from water.If the distribution coefficient, KD=10.What relative volume of chloroform-water should be used to extract 90% of the caffeine present in one single extraction?

Now i know that KD=Co/Cw and I've solved a question on how much weight of an acid will be removed by extraction.But I'm lost here..don't i need the solubility of the products to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, just assume it was not exceeded.

--

Can u give me a hint on how to solve it? Like how to start?

Try to express the condition (90%) in terms of volumes of water and chloroform, and concentrations of caffeine in both. Name them Vc, Vw, Cc, Cw and use these symbols.

--
methods

Okkk..so the lab instructor didnt discuss ANY of this in the lab.She just mentioned the whole KD=co/cw thing,she didnt even stress on it..So I'm clueless..really.Sorry for being a pain..but a little more help,please?

I suppose these thing were not discussed just like multiplication table wasn't - you are expected to already know it :wink:

How many moles of caffeine in Vc of Cc chloroform solution?

How many moles of caffeine in Vw of Cw water solution?

How many moles total?

What does it mean '90% extracted'?

--
methods

But how am i supposed to know any of this?
n=c/v but i have none of these values.All i have is the 90% caffeine..so should i assume it to be 1L & take 90% of that?
Another thing, KD=Cc/Cw=10 in this case?

Don't worry about not knowing values - you are interested in ratio only, and it can be found using only symbols. However, if the symbols throw you off, try to assume some real values - say 10 mL and 0.01M.

And yes - KD=Cc/Cw=10.

--
methods

Thankyouu..i solved it :D Its 10:9?

10:9 or 9:10 :wink:

--
methods

Related to KD calculations (Organic chem lab)

What is a KD calculation?

A KD calculation is a method used in organic chemistry labs to determine the equilibrium constant (KD) for a reaction. It measures the ratio of the concentration of products to reactants at equilibrium.

Why is it important to calculate KD?

KD calculations help chemists understand the thermodynamics and kinetics of a reaction, which can provide valuable information for designing and optimizing chemical processes.

How do you perform a KD calculation?

To perform a KD calculation, you must first determine the concentration of the reactants and products at equilibrium. Then, use the equilibrium expression (KD = [products]/[reactants]) to calculate the KD value. This can be done using various methods such as spectrophotometry or titration.

What factors can affect the accuracy of a KD calculation?

The accuracy of a KD calculation can be affected by factors such as experimental errors, impurities in the reactants, and changes in temperature or pressure during the reaction.

What are some applications of KD calculations?

KD calculations can be used in various fields of chemistry, such as drug development, environmental chemistry, and biochemistry. They can also be used to predict the stability of a reaction and determine the optimal conditions for a chemical process.