KCL for AC Waveforms: Can I Get the Right Answer?”

In summary, the conversation discussed using KCL at the central node and calculating the value of I1 using given values. The book answer was A and there was a discussion about whether the given values were in RMS or maximum. It was concluded that the given values may be in peak quantities in India.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2018-1-23_13-15-56.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

Can I use KCL at the central node?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried KCL and got: 5cos0 + j 5sin0 + 10 cos 60 + j 10 sin 60 = (-I1)
5 + 5 + j 10 *1.732 / 2 = (-I1)
10 + j 5 * 1.732 = -I1
This gives 13.33 angle (220.89)

Book answer is A
Is the 5 and 10 Ampere in figure, RMS or Maximum?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-23_13-15-56.png
    upload_2018-1-23_13-15-56.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 667
Physics news on Phys.org
Instantaneous values have no phase. So in that sense, the options seem meaningless.

jaus tail said:
Is the 5 and 10 Ampere in figure, RMS or Maximum?
In India, I guess they are taken as peak quantities unless specified otherwise.
I agree with your calculations.

Maybe they have given instantaneous values of the magnitudes and phases of the current sources (in an incorrect way) and they want you to find the magnitude and phase of I1 at that instant.

Likes jaus tail

Related to KCL for AC Waveforms: Can I Get the Right Answer?”

1. What is KCL for AC waveforms?

KCL stands for Kirchhoff's Current Law, which is a fundamental principle in electrical engineering that states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit is equal to zero. For AC waveforms, this law still applies, but the currents are time-varying sinusoidal signals.

2. Why is KCL important for analyzing AC circuits?

KCL is important for analyzing AC circuits because it allows us to determine the current at any point in a circuit. This is crucial for understanding the behavior of the circuit and making accurate predictions about its performance.

3. Can KCL be used for both series and parallel AC circuits?

Yes, KCL can be used for both series and parallel AC circuits. In series circuits, the total current is the same at all points, so KCL can be applied to any node. In parallel circuits, the total current is divided among the branches, so KCL can be applied to each individual branch.

4. How do I apply KCL to AC waveforms?

To apply KCL to AC waveforms, you must first determine the currents at each node in the circuit. This can be done by using Ohm's Law and the circuit's impedance values. Then, using the principle of KCL, you can set up equations at each node and solve for the unknown currents.

5. Can I always get the right answer using KCL for AC waveforms?

In theory, yes, you can always get the right answer using KCL for AC waveforms. However, in practice, there may be some errors or uncertainties in the circuit parameters or measurements that can affect the accuracy of the results. It is important to verify your calculations and consider any potential sources of error.