Just focussing on the task to execute

In summary, this individual experiences difficulty focusing on tasks that are not conceptually or intuitively interesting, decreasing productivity. Taking breaks and eating a balanced diet are recommended to help improve productivity.
thephystudent
While I can often come up with ideas pretty quickly, I have trouble keeping myself focussed at tasks that just 'have to be done'. I'm talking for example about doing calculations for which you already know what the result must be or for which you don't expect there will be anything 'cool' about the results. Another example is typing equations in latex.
I have trouble reaching max efficiency performing those tasks that are in principle not that hard; I often find myself analyzing it all too much, finding connections everywhere and than getting easily distracted from the main task (though I must admit plain facebook etc. is another source of distraction).
In general, I seem to perform, relatively speaking, better on a conceptual/intuitive level than on a practical/executive level, decreasing productivity.

Is this a common issue others encounter? And how do you deal with it?

(ofcourse I hope not to sound as another narcistic gen Y kid that thinks he's a genius ;) )

Physics news on Phys.org
You just described every engineer ever. Write 10,000 lines of code? Sure, gimme a few hours. Write a paragraph of documentation? Ugh, fine, I'll have it done by the end of the day... maybe tomorrow.

Take more and longer breaks. Often times I find myself obsessive over certain things and can focus on them for hours and hours, I have to remind myself to stop and take a break or else I'll just burn out on it.

Likes collinsmark, cnh1995, thephystudent and 1 other person
Reminds me of this,

Nerd Sniping
nerd_sniping.png

(Source: https://xkcd.com/356/)

Likes newjerseyrunner, Hoophy, thephystudent and 2 others
I think a lot of dealing with this issue comes down to self-discipline.

Of course your attention is drawn to more interesting tasks. Once you know the answer to a problem, you lose a sense of exploration - formally writing out a solution or documentation, etc. becomes a chore. There's no longer any immediate reward to strive for.

In a way it's kind of like eating. Unfortunately you can't just have ice cream all the time. A big portion of your diet needs to be vegetables. The better you are at the balance, the healthier you'll be.

Likes thephystudent

Related to Just focussing on the task to execute

What does "just focussing on the task to execute" mean?

"Just focussing on the task to execute" means to concentrate solely on the specific task at hand and not be distracted by any other thoughts or tasks.

Why is it important to focus on the task at hand?

Focusing on the task at hand allows for greater efficiency and productivity. It also helps to ensure that the task is completed accurately and to the best of one's abilities.

How can I improve my ability to focus on a task?

Practicing mindfulness techniques and avoiding distractions, such as turning off notifications on electronic devices, can help improve one's ability to focus on a task. It is also important to prioritize tasks and break them down into smaller, more manageable chunks.

What are the benefits of "just focussing on the task to execute"?

The benefits of "just focussing on the task to execute" include improved productivity, better time management, and a higher quality of work. It can also help reduce stress and increase overall satisfaction with completing tasks.

Are there any downsides to solely focusing on one task?

While focusing on one task can be beneficial, it is important to also take breaks and not overwork oneself. It is also important to prioritize tasks and not neglect other important tasks. Additionally, it may be helpful to have a balance of both focused work and multi-tasking, depending on the situation.