Just curious, has anyone traveled to Icleand ?

• Thread starter land_of_ice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curious
In summary, Just curious, has anyone traveled to Icleand ?Some people have traveled to Iceland, while others have not.
land_of_ice

Physics news on Phys.org

land_of_ice said:

It's on my list and a great time to go given their economy. But wait for spring :D

I am also a big fan...never been there, but I would love to go.

Judging from your user name, are you from Iceland, land_of_ice?

(And yes I know Iceland is not really a land of ice...Greenland is though - an early example of slick marketing :-p.)

lisab said:
(And yes I know Iceland is not really a land of ice...Greenland is though - an early example of slick marketing :-p.)

Actually that has been proposed before :smile:

He named this land "Greenland" because he wanted to attract other people to it. [2]

but the ref [2] doesn't download to me, so I can't verify.

Anyway, been to Iceland a couple of times, in the late 1980s and early 1990s when we had no air refuel capacity yet and we had to land our F-16s at Kevlavik half way during our ferry flights from the Netherlands to Goose Bay in Labrador for low flying training.

Vague memories about ice, glaciers, large dark and wet gravel plains, missing the vegetation. Not a place of friendly sceneries although there is plenty to see.

Technically, yes. I traveled from Europe back to the US in 1969. Back then the cheapest flight was on Icelandic Airlilnes because, I was told, they were not a part of IATA which set prices. I had to go to Luxembourgh to board the plane and we stopped in Kevlavik on the way. It was at night and all I saw was the airport. It was mid November and in fact the whole place was covered in snow.

I've been diverted to Keflavik. Does that count?

I watched Mighty Ducks II

Here's an article about Icelandic from Time magazine written about the time that I flew.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,909595,00.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

I've been to their airport...

Watch out for the terrorists

http://www.thorkell.com/gallery9.htm

I've been to Iceland on google maps.

I've driven past the exit for Iceland on I-26 many times, but never stopped there. Then they went bankrupt so now I won't be able to do it.

Related to Just curious, has anyone traveled to Icleand ?

1. What is the best time of year to visit Iceland?

The best time to visit Iceland is during the summer months of June to August, when the weather is mild and there is 24 hours of daylight. However, if you want to see the Northern Lights, the best time is from September to March.

2. How much does it cost to travel to Iceland?

The cost of traveling to Iceland can vary depending on your travel style and preferences. On average, a 7-day trip can cost between $1,500 to $2,500 per person, including flights, accommodations, and food.

3. What are the must-see attractions in Iceland?

Some of the must-see attractions in Iceland include the Blue Lagoon, the Golden Circle, the Northern Lights, and the Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon. Other popular destinations include the capital city of Reykjavik, the waterfalls of Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss, and the black sand beach of Reynisfjara.

4. Is it safe to travel to Iceland?

Iceland is considered a very safe country for travelers. The crime rate is low and the standard of living is high. However, it is always important to take necessary precautions while traveling, such as being aware of your surroundings and following basic safety guidelines.

5. What should I pack for a trip to Iceland?

Some essential items to pack for a trip to Iceland include warm and waterproof clothing, sturdy shoes, a camera, a swimsuit for the hot springs, and a power adapter for the unique outlets. It is also recommended to bring any necessary medications and a first aid kit.