Just a quick question about partial derivatives

In summary, the Liebniz Integral Rule states that under certain conditions, the derivative of an integral can be computed by interchanging the order of differentiation and integration. This concept is applicable to the equation \frac{d}{dt} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |\Psi(x,t)|^2 dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\Psi(x,t)|^2 dx, and is a fundamental concept in calculus. It is important to note that this rule only applies when the limits of integration are constants, otherwise a more generic form of the rule must be used.
vorcil
Not a homework question, but It will help me none the less,

In my book it says

[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |\Psi(x,t)|^2 dx [/tex]

is equivalent to

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\Psi(x,t)|^2 dx [/tex]

I understand how It becomes a partial derivative, since I'm differentiating psi with respect to x and t

But what I don't understand Is how you can just move [tex] \frac{d}{dt} [/tex]
into an integral, why can you do that? I don't understand the rules behind it,

for example
(i'm just making this up)
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \int_0^2 2xt dx [/tex]
I'm first going to integrate the inside function then differentiate it with respect to t
before I try the other way of moving dt inside the integral

[tex] \int_0^2 2xt dx = \left \frac{2x^2t}{2} \right|_0^2 [/tex]
the equation becomes
[tex] \left x^2t\right|_0^2 [/tex]
putting in 2, I get 2^2 *t
= 4t
differentiating that,
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} 4t = 4 [/tex]

now i'll try the other way by moving in the partial derivative

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\partial}{\partial t} 2xt dx [/tex]
I've only done one math paper before, and 5 physics papers,
so I don't know how to solve partial derivatives in the conventional sense,
but what I have picked up is, that a physicists first line of attack to any partial derivative, is separation of variables,
so uh, I'm not too sure how i do it in this context, since I can't separate x,t the way I can separate [tex] \Psi , \textrm{ which I can rewrite as } \psi(x)\phi(x) [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\partial}{\partial t} 2xt dx, = 2x [/tex]

that's from differentiating 2xt, treating x as a constant, d/dt 2t = 2, so the t disappears

[tex] \int_0^2 2x dx = \int_0^2 \frac{2x^2}{2} dx = \left x^2\right|_0^2 [/tex]

so 2^2 = 4

so I've just proved for the equation 2xy

[tex] \frac{d}{dy} \int_a^b F(x,y) dx \textrm{ is equivalent to } \int_a^b \frac{\partial}{\partial y} F(x,y) dx [/tex]

meh

Is this true for all equations?

vorcil said:
But what I don't understand Is how you can just move [tex] \frac{d}{dt} [/tex]
into an integral, why can you do that? I don't understand the rules behind it,
This is an application of the general concept of "differentiation under the integral sign" or the Leibiz Integral Rule. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LeibnizIntegralRule.html.

vorcil said:
[tex] \frac{d}{dy} \int_a^b F(x,y) dx \textrm{ is equivalent to } \int_a^b \frac{\partial}{\partial y} F(x,y) dx [/tex]

meh

Is this true for all equations?

If a and b are constants, yes. This is essentially the fundamental theorem of calculus.

If either a or b is a function of y (or if both are a function of y) then the above is not true. You need to use the more generic form of the Liebniz Integral Rule to compute derivative.

Related to Just a quick question about partial derivatives

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant. They are useful in multivariable calculus for analyzing and optimizing functions with multiple independent variables.

2. How do you calculate partial derivatives?

To calculate a partial derivative, you must take the derivative of the function with respect to the variable you are interested in, treating all other variables as constants. This involves using the standard rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and product rule.

3. What is the purpose of using partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used to analyze how a function changes in response to changes in its independent variables. They are particularly useful in optimization problems, where we want to find the maximum or minimum value of a function with multiple variables.

4. Can you give an example of when partial derivatives are used?

Partial derivatives are commonly used in economics, physics, and engineering. For example, in economics, they are used to analyze how a company's profits change with respect to changes in the prices of its products and the costs of production.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives can only be used for functions that are continuous and differentiable. They also assume that the other variables in the function are held constant, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may depend on the chosen values for the other variables.