Judicial Activism: Personal Ideology or Interpreting the Law?

• News
  • Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of personal ideology in judicial decisions and whether it is overblown by Congress. The example of Judge Greer's decision in the Schiavo case is used to illustrate how a judge's personal views may not always influence their rulings. The discussion also touches on the recent Supreme Court ruling on medical marijuana and how it was based on the interpretation of federal laws rather than personal beliefs. The importance of appointing judges who are able to apply the law objectively and not be influenced by their own ideology is emphasized. Overall, the conversation suggests that while personal ideology may play a role in some cases, it is not a major factor in the majority of judicial decisions.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The personal views of judges has to affect the angle they view an issue. It at least affects their starting positions on issues. But do judges decide issues based on ideology or their view of the law? In other words, is the issue of liberal/conservative judge appointees overblown by Congress?

Greer would have been considered a conservative, evangelical Christian prior to the Schiavo case. His decision was clearly based more on his interpretation of laws than his personal ideology.

The Supreme Court's decision on medical marijuana was another surprising twist. The USSC ruled 6-3 that federal drug laws superceded state drug laws, effectively banning medical marijuana. The dissenters? Thomas, Rehnquist, and O'Connor. Not exactly the three you would have expected to support marijuana use. Their dissent, especially Thomas's, was based on their idea that the power of the federal government should be limited.

I especially liked Thomas's dissent:
Respondents Diane Monson and Angel Raich use marijuana
that has never been bought or sold, that has never crossed state lines, and that has had no demonstrable effect on the national market for marijuana. If Congresscan regulate this under the Commerce Clause, then it can regulate virtually anything—and the Federal Government is no longer one of limited and enumerated powers.

Who is appointed as a federal judge, especially one on the USSC, is an important issue for Congress to consider, but, barring a history of allowing personal ideology to affect judicial decisions, I think the personal ideology of a judge is blown up a little bigger than life in the interests of fighting the Republican/Democrat war that Congress has seemed to be so engrossed in over the last decade.

Physics news on Phys.org
BobG said:
Who is appointed as a federal judge, especially one on the USSC, is an important issue for Congress to consider, but, barring a history of allowing personal ideology to affect judicial decisions, I think the personal ideology of a judge is blown up a little bigger than life in the interests of fighting the Republican/Democrat war that Congress has seemed to be so engrossed in over the last decade.
I would characterize it a little differently, but otherwise I agree with your thesis. The way I see it, the vast majority of issues (the Schaivo case and the medical pot case included) are so cut-and-dried that the personal politics of the judge aren't a factor. Like you said, Greer would have been characterized as right wing before the Schaivo case - but he would have had to be a real hardcore nut to rule any other way in that case. The case was just too clear-cut.

Some issues can be more difficult, but often the deciding factor is often based on legal minutia rather than the political/moral question. The Schaivo case again: the issues brought up by the family/government were largely irrelevant - to the court, it was a simple custody case.

About the only issue I can think of where politics will play a role is with abortion - but I don't consider that to be a major issue today.

BobG said:
The personal views of judges has to affect the angle they view an issue. It at least affects their starting positions on issues. But do judges decide issues based on ideology or their view of the law? In other words, is the issue of liberal/conservative judge appointees overblown by Congress?

Greer would have been considered a conservative, evangelical Christian prior to the Schiavo case. His decision was clearly based more on his interpretation of laws than his personal ideology.

The Supreme Court's decision on medical marijuana was another surprising twist. The USSC ruled 6-3 that federal drug laws superceded state drug laws, effectively banning medical marijuana. The dissenters? Thomas, Rehnquist, and O'Connor. Not exactly the three you would have expected to support marijuana use. Their dissent, especially Thomas's, was based on their idea that the power of the federal government should be limited.

I especially liked Thomas's dissent:

Great post. I have tremendous respect for Greer because he not only made a decision based on the law, but did so contrary to pressure from a governor, the legislature, and President of the United States.

In regard to the recent ruling on marijuana, it was a ruling on who should have authority--the states versus federal government--not whether it should be legal for medical purposes. O'Connor has always been pro-state, which is consistent with her dissent.

With reference to Bush's three judicial nominees that are being allowed through, time will tell whether they will apply the law versus try to influence law. IMO it is overblown with regard to the judiciary in general, however activist judges should still be of question.

The Supreme Court judges handed a well thought decision. But as a rule, they do follow their own idealogy, and one CAN predict with some level of accuracy how each might decide on a particular issue. So appointees should be carefully chosen, with broad balance in views. They were clear that this issue is a matter for Congress and reconsideration of the reach of the Federal Controlled Substances Act. When that Act was drafted some 70 years ago, its framers had no reason to believe any of the substances might someday be discovered to have "valuable or healthful" qualities. Plus, they also knew it could later be amended.

As I wrote in my forum post, gasoline would be legal to drink if a person thought it might aid their health. But who would ever think a person would do so. Hence, no law against it. That is why this issue must go before Congress as a "right to freedom of health choice," which has not been tested, and the Act could be amended accordingly. Otherwise, I suspect this issue will again go before the USSC as a constitutional right to health choices issue.

Presently, I believe it would be too difficult and time consuming to get marijuana classified and regulated as a drug under the FDA. The easier path would be as a consitutional right to health choice issue, which I believe the USSC would be hard pressed to deny. It would also send a chilling signal to the health industry and present far reaching powers of the FDA. But something must give. Health care and costs (esp. Medicare/baby boomers) assignment are on a collision course for a meltdown within 10 years.

BobG said:

I definitely agree with that. Most any judge you can look at will be all over the place when it comes to ideological mapping but when it comes to the legal mapping, they are pretty much in the same place (strict vs. leniant on the laws). Their leniancy or strictness is a better definition as to how most judges seem to act as opposed to liberal/conservative ideologies.

Related to Judicial Activism: Personal Ideology or Interpreting the Law?

What is judicial activism?

Judicial activism refers to the tendency of judges to make decisions that reflect their personal beliefs and values, rather than strictly interpreting and applying the law as it is written. This can result in judges using their power to shape public policy and create new laws.

How does personal ideology play a role in judicial activism?

Personal ideology can greatly influence a judge's decisions in cases that involve controversial issues or gray areas of the law. Judges may rely on their own beliefs and values to interpret the law, rather than strictly adhering to legal precedent or legislative intent.

Is judicial activism always a bad thing?

There is no clear consensus on whether judicial activism is inherently good or bad. Some argue that it allows for a more dynamic and adaptable legal system, while others believe it undermines the separation of powers and the role of the legislature in creating laws.

Can judicial activism be limited or controlled?

There are various checks and balances in place to limit the extent of judicial activism. For example, the power of judicial review allows higher courts to overturn lower court decisions that are deemed to be overly activist. The appointment process of judges, which involves approval by the legislative branch, can also play a role in controlling the ideology of the judiciary.

What is the difference between judicial activism and judicial restraint?

Judicial restraint is the opposite of judicial activism, and refers to the practice of judges strictly interpreting and applying the law as it is written. This approach emphasizes the role of the judiciary in upholding the intent of the legislature and avoiding any overreach of their power.