Journals for a physics grad to keep in touch with physics

In summary, Physics World is the best journal for a person like you who wants to stay up to date on the latest developments in physics.
jaredphau
I graduated last year with my MSc in Physics from Imperial, and I'm presently undergoing a teacher training course, to teach high school physics.

I loved studying physics, and especially doing research, so would like to keep in touch with it for personal interest while teaching/future work. I have a sum of money yearly from the education ministry that I could use to subscribe to journals. Which journal would work for someone like me looking to keep in touch with the world of physics?

My masters was mostly in atmospheric physics, and in my undergrad I spent quite a lot of time on cosmology.

As much as I like Nature Physics and the like, I worry that the papers from some fields (Quantum, CM, etc) will be too difficult for me to read on a regular basis. Should I just go for it anyhow?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics Today is a good one for general overviews of current topics. They have great summaries aimed at the level of physicists not in the field, "quick studies" and historical notes that would be great for teaching.

American Journal of Physics, aimed at education, although not on the cutting edge of scientific research.

jaredphau said:
I graduated last year with my MSc in Physics from Imperial, and I'm presently undergoing a teacher training course, to teach high school physics.

I loved studying physics, and especially doing research, so would like to keep in touch with it for personal interest while teaching/future work. I have a sum of money yearly from the education ministry that I could use to subscribe to journals. Which journal would work for someone like me looking to keep in touch with the world of physics?

My masters was mostly in atmospheric physics, and in my undergrad I spent quite a lot of time on cosmology.

As much as I like Nature Physics and the like, I worry that the papers from some fields (Quantum, CM, etc) will be too difficult for me to read on a regular basis. Should I just go for it anyhow?

Since you are in the UK, you should have been a member of the IoP. You would have received a monthly issue of Physics World, similar to our Physics Today for APS members. To me, THAT is the best way to stay abreast of the major development in physics.

Zz.

As a fellow physicist, I understand your desire to stay connected with the world of physics even while pursuing a teaching career. There are many great journals out there that cater to different interests and levels of expertise. Some options that I would recommend for you are Physics Today, Physics World, and American Journal of Physics.

Physics Today is a monthly magazine that covers a wide range of topics in physics, making it a great option for someone like you who has a diverse background in atmospheric physics and cosmology. It also includes articles on current research, career advice, and news in the physics community.

Physics World is another great option, published by the Institute of Physics. It covers a variety of physics topics, including applied and interdisciplinary physics, and also includes articles on education and careers in physics.

The American Journal of Physics is a peer-reviewed journal that publishes articles on physics education and research. It would be a great resource for you as a physics teacher, as it includes articles on teaching strategies, classroom activities, and research in physics education.

As for your concern about journals being too difficult to understand, I would suggest starting with Physics Today and Physics World, as they have a broader scope and may be more accessible for someone without a specific research focus. However, don't be afraid to challenge yourself and try reading papers from other fields. You never know what new interests or insights you may discover.

Additionally, many journals offer online access and some even have special rates for educators. I would recommend exploring different options and seeing which journals best fit your interests and budget.

Overall, I encourage you to continue your passion for physics and stay connected with the latest research and developments in the field. Journals are a great way to do this, and I hope my suggestions have been helpful to you. Best of luck in your teaching career!

Related to Journals for a physics grad to keep in touch with physics

1. What are some reputable physics journals for a graduate student to keep up with the latest research?

Some reputable physics journals for a graduate student to keep up with the latest research include Physical Review Letters, Nature Physics, Science, and Journal of High Energy Physics.

2. Are there any open-access physics journals that are worth subscribing to?

Yes, there are several open-access physics journals that are highly regarded, such as Physical Review X, Optica, and New Journal of Physics. These journals provide free access to their articles, making them a valuable resource for graduate students on a budget.

3. What types of articles can I expect to find in physics journals?

Physics journals publish a wide range of articles, including original research papers, review articles, and letters. These articles cover various subfields of physics, such as astrophysics, condensed matter physics, and theoretical physics.

4. How can I stay updated on new publications in my specific area of interest?

Many physics journals offer email alerts and RSS feeds that allow you to receive notifications when new articles are published in your area of interest. You can also follow relevant journals and researchers on social media or join online communities to stay updated.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can help me keep track of the articles I have read?

Yes, there are several reference management tools, such as Mendeley and Zotero, that can help you organize and keep track of the articles you have read. These tools also allow you to generate citations and bibliographies for your own research papers.