Joule's Mechanical Equivalent of Heat

In summary, J's MEoH is the calorific value of a substance and is used as a conversion factor between thermal and mechanical energy units. It is typically given for water, but other substances may have different values for their specific heat. In the SI system, the same units (watts) are used for both thermal and mechanical energy, but the "old" units of calories and British Thermal Units still require the conversion factor. Therefore, J can be assumed as unity when working in SI units, but for other substances, their specific heat must be taken into consideration.
sc298
As I understand it, J's MEoH is the calorific value of a substance. The standard value for this constant is given for raising 1 lb or kg of water by 1 degree.

I am using equations which use J's MEoH but with other substances. The equations come from a book on steam turbines so they no doubt use J's MEoH constant for water.

Like I said, if I am using these equations for other substances will J's MEoH be the same value or should I use the specific heat of the substance in question?

Many thanks,
Sean

Engineering news on Phys.org
The MEoH is just the conversion rate between different units for the same thing.

Mechanical work or energy is naturally measured in units of force and distance.

Thermal energy was originallly measured in terms of the temperature rise of a unit volume of water.

The two branches of physics were developed more or less indepedently, until the general ideas of conservation of energy and conversion of energy from one form to another were discovered

In the SI system the same units (watts) are used for both, but the "old" units of calories, British Thermal Units, etc, are still used, and need the conversion factor.

There is only value of the conversion factor, just like there are always 12 inches in 1 foot, but the specific heat of different materials is different, just like the density is different. You will find tables of specific heats taht give the value in both "thermal" and "mechanical" units.

So if working in SI units I can just assume J to be unity?

Can I take Joule's Mechanical Equivalent of Heat, J, as just unity when using SI considering it is just a conversion factor?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Joule's Mechanical Equivalent of Heat

What is Joule's Mechanical Equivalent of Heat?

Joule's Mechanical Equivalent of Heat is a scientific concept that states the relationship between mechanical energy and heat energy. It is represented by the equation: 1 calorie = 4.186 joules.

Who was James Prescott Joule?

James Prescott Joule was an English physicist who conducted experiments in the 19th century to determine the relationship between mechanical energy and heat energy. His work led to the development of the concept of Joule's Mechanical Equivalent of Heat.

How did Joule's experiments contribute to the understanding of energy?

Joule's experiments demonstrated that mechanical energy and heat energy are interchangeable. This helped to further the understanding of the conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

Can Joule's Mechanical Equivalent of Heat be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, Joule's Mechanical Equivalent of Heat has practical applications in areas such as thermodynamics and engineering. It is also used in everyday life, for example, in the calculation of energy consumption and efficiency of appliances.

Are there any limitations to Joule's Mechanical Equivalent of Heat?

Joule's Mechanical Equivalent of Heat is based on the ideal conditions of a perfect thermal insulation and adiabatic processes. In real-world situations, there may be some limitations due to factors such as heat loss or inefficiencies in energy conversion. Additionally, this concept only applies to systems that involve the conversion of mechanical energy into heat energy, and cannot be applied to other forms of energy.