Jordan-Basis for Matrix: Need Help!

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, gotmejerry posted an unsolved question on MHF regarding finding a Jordan-basis for a given matrix and eigenvectors. The conversation discusses the process of finding the basis and the resulting canonical form of Jordan. Ultimately, a Jordan basis, transition matrix, and canonical form of Jordan are found for the given matrix.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Unsolved question posted by gotmejerry on MHF (April 8th 2013, 01:06 PM).

Hi,
I couldn't find a Jordan-basis for this matrix:

png.latex

I have found an eigenvector: v1=[3 5 0 0] then an other vector v2 for (A-I)v2=v1, then I tried to compute (A-I)v3=v2 but that was inconsistent so I think I need 2 other eigenvectors, but I don't know how to find them.

Thanks for your help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Eigenvalues of $A=\begin{bmatrix}{1}&{0}&{3}&{0}\\{0}&{1}&{5}&{0}\\{0}&{0}&{1}&{0}\\{0}&{0}&{0}&{1}\end{bmatrix}\in\mathbb{R}^{4\times 4}$: $$\det (A-\lambda I)=(1-\lambda)^4=0\Rightarrow \lambda=1 \quad(\mbox{cuadruple)}$$ On the other hand, we have: $$\dim \ker (A-I)=4-\mbox{rank} \begin{bmatrix}{0}&{0}&{3}&{0}\\{0}&{0}&{5}&{0}\\{0}&{0}&{0}&{0}\\{0}&{0}&{0}&{0}\end{bmatrix}=4-1=3$$ This means that the canonical form of Jordan $J$ has three blocks: $$J=\begin{bmatrix}{1}&{1}&{0}&{0}\\{0}&{1}&{0}&{0}\\{0}&{0}&{1}&{0}\\{0}&{0}&{0}&{1}\end{bmatrix}$$ We have to find o basis $B=\{e_1,e_2,e_3,e_4\}$ of $\mathbb{R}^4$ satisfying $$\left \{ \begin{matrix} (A-I)e_1=0\\ (A- I)e_2=e_1\\(A-I)e_3=0\\(A-I)e_4=0 \end{matrix}\right.$$ The first and the second systems have the form $(A-I)x=h$, that is: $$\begin {bmatrix}{0}&{0}&{3}&{0}\\{0}&{0}&{5}&{0}\\{0}&{0}&{0}&{0}\\ {0}&{0}&{0}&{0}\end{bmatrix} \begin {bmatrix}{x_1}\\{x_2}\\{x_3}\\{x_4}\end{bmatrix} = \begin {bmatrix}{h_1}\\{h_2}\\{h_3}\\{h_4}\end{bmatrix} \Leftrightarrow \left \{ \begin{matrix} 3x_3=h_1\\5x_3=h_2\\0=h_3\\0=h_4 \end{matrix}\right.\quad (1)$$ Easily we get the general solution ($GS$) of $(1)$ and the compatibility conditions ($CC$): $$GS\;\left \{ \begin{matrix} x_1=\alpha\\x_2=\beta\\x_3=\frac{h_1}{3}\\x_4= \gamma \end{matrix}\right.\quad CC\;\left \{ \begin{matrix} 5h_1-3h_2=0\\h_3=0\\h_4=0 \end{matrix}\right.$$ Vector $e_1$. In this case $h_1=h_2=h_3=h_4=0$ and the general solution of $(1)$ is $e_1=(\alpha,\beta,0,\gamma).$ This vector $x$ will be as $h$ in the next system so, we impose $CC$: $5\alpha-3\beta=0,0=0,\gamma=0$. We choose $\alpha=3,\beta=5,\gamma=0$ so, $\boxed{e_1=(3,5,0,0)}$.

Vector $e_2$. In this case $h_1=3,h_2=5,h_3=h_4=0$ and the general solution of $(1)$ is $e_2=(\alpha,\beta,1,\gamma).$ We simply choose $\alpha=0,\beta=0,\gamma=0$ so, $\boxed{e_2=(0,0,1,0)}$.

Vectors $e_3$ and $e_4$. These are eigenvectors associated to the eigenvalue $1$, That is, solutions of the system $(A-I)x=0\equiv x_3=0$. We choose $e_3$ and $e_4$ linearly independent such that $\{e_1,e_3,e_4\}$ form a basis of $\ker (A-I)$ for example $\boxed{e_3=(0,1,0,0)}$ and $\boxed{e_4=(0,0,0,1)}$. As a consequence:

$(i)$ Jordan basis for $A$: $B_J=\{e_1,e_2,e_3,e_4\}$

$(ii)$ Transition matrix: $P=\begin{bmatrix}{3}&{0}&{0}&{0}\\{5}&{0}&{1}&{0}\\{0}&{1}&{0}&{0}\\{0}&{0}&{0}&{1}\end{bmatrix}$

$(iii)$ Canonical form of Jordan: $J=\begin{bmatrix}{1}&{1}&{0}&{0}\\{0}&{1}&{0}&{0}\\{0}&{0}&{1}&{0}\\{0}&{0}&{0}&{1}\end{bmatrix}$

P.S. Easily verified, $P^{-1}AP=J$ or equivalently $AP=PJ$

Related to Jordan-Basis for Matrix: Need Help!

1. What is the Jordan-Basis for Matrix?

The Jordan-Basis for Matrix is a mathematical concept used in linear algebra to transform a matrix into its Jordan canonical form. It is a way to break down a complex matrix into simpler blocks, making it easier to solve and analyze.

2. How is the Jordan-Basis for Matrix calculated?

The Jordan-Basis for Matrix is calculated by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the given matrix. Then, using these eigenvalues and eigenvectors, a diagonal matrix and a nilpotent matrix are constructed. These two matrices together form the Jordan canonical form.

3. What is the importance of the Jordan-Basis for Matrix in linear algebra?

The Jordan-Basis for Matrix is important because it allows for easier computation and analysis of large matrices. It also provides a way to find the primary decomposition of a matrix, which has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Are there any limitations to the Jordan-Basis for Matrix?

Yes, there are limitations to the Jordan-Basis for Matrix. It can only be applied to square matrices with complex eigenvalues. It also cannot be used for matrices with repeated eigenvalues or for matrices that are not diagonalizable.

5. How is the Jordan-Basis for Matrix used in real-world applications?

The Jordan-Basis for Matrix has many real-world applications, such as in image processing, signal processing, and control systems. It is also used in quantum mechanics and quantum computing to represent the state of a quantum system.