Matrix Exponential: Find Jordan Form & Compute eA

In summary, we found the Jordan form and a corresponding basis for the given matrix $A$. We also computed the exponential matrix $e^{A}$ using the Jordan form.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
I quote a question from Yahoo! Answers

Consider the following Matrix:
A =
[ 1 -1 0
1 3 0
4 6 -1 ]

(a) Find a Jordan form of the matrix, as well as a basis that corresponds to that Jordan form.
(b) Compute the exponential matrix eA.

I have given a link to the topic there so the OP can see my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$(a)$ The eigenvalues of $A=\begin{bmatrix}{1}&{-1}&{\;\;0}\\{1}&{\;\;3}&{\;\;0}\\{4}&{\;\;6}&{-1}\end{bmatrix}$ are: $$\det (A-\lambda I)=(-1-\lambda)(\lambda -2)^2=0\Leftrightarrow \lambda=-1\mbox{ (simple) }\vee \;\lambda=2\mbox{ (double)}$$ We have $\dim\ker (A+I)=1$ (simple eigenvalue) and $\dim \ker (A-2I)=3-\mbox{rank} (A-2I)=3-2=1$. So the canonical form of Jordan is $$J= \begin{bmatrix} {-1}&{0}&{0}\\{0}&{2}&{1}\\{0}&{0}&{2}\end{bmatrix} $$ A basis for $\ker (A+I)$ is $\{v=(0,0,1)^T\}$. Now, we need two linearly independent vectors $e_1,e_2$ such that $(A-2I)e_1=0$ and $(A-2I)e_2=e_1$. We easily find $e_1=(-3,3,2)^T$ and $e_2=(8,-5,0)^T$. As a consequence, the transition matrix $P$ satisfying $P^{-1}AP=J$ is $$P=[v\;\;e_1\;\;e_2]=\begin{bmatrix}{0}&{-3}&{\;\;8}\\{0}&{\;\;3}&{-5}\\{1}&{\;\;2}&{\;\;0}\end{bmatrix}$$

$(b)\;\;e^{A}=Pe^{J}P^{-1}=P\;\begin{bmatrix}{e^{-1}}&{0}&{0}\\{0}&{e^{2}}&{e^{2}}\\{0}&{0}&{e^{2}} \end{bmatrix}\;P^{-1}=\ldots=\begin{bmatrix}{e}&{e^{-1}}&{1}\\{e}&{e^3}&{1}\\{e^4}&{e^6}&{e^{-1}} \end{bmatrix}$

Last edited:

Related to Matrix Exponential: Find Jordan Form & Compute eA

What is a matrix exponential?

A matrix exponential is a special type of function that takes a square matrix as its input and outputs another square matrix. It is defined as the power series of the matrix, and is useful in solving differential equations and other mathematical problems.

How do you find the Jordan form of a matrix?

The Jordan form of a matrix is found by first finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix. Then, the Jordan form is constructed by placing the eigenvalues along the diagonal and the corresponding eigenvectors as columns in a matrix. This is useful in finding the matrix exponential.

Why is the Jordan form important in computing eA?

The Jordan form is important in computing eA because it allows us to simplify the matrix exponential calculation. By using the Jordan form, we can easily calculate the exponential of each diagonal element, and then combine them to get the overall exponential of the matrix.

What are the steps to compute eA?

The steps to compute eA are as follows:

1. Find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix A.
  2. Construct the Jordan form of A using the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
  3. Calculate the exponential of each diagonal element of the Jordan form.
  4. Combine the exponential values to get the final exponential of A.

What are some applications of computing eA?

The computation of eA has many applications in science and engineering. It is used in solving differential equations, studying the behavior of dynamical systems, and analyzing the growth and decay of populations. It also has applications in physics, chemistry, and economics.