Joint Number state switching operator?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding an operator that can perform the action of A|N,0> = A|0,N>, where A is the desired operator and the kets represent two joint Fock states. The initial thought was to use the beam splitter operator with a selected phase, but the weightings for each input state were not the same. It is mentioned that due to the orthonormality of the states, the operator can only make both states identical. The beam splitter operator with a phase of pi/2 was ultimately found to produce the desired results, although the original hope was for a phase of zero. Alternative ideas were discussed, but were not as physically realistic.
Gwinterz
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone know of an operator, which has some realistic analogue, that would perform the following action:

A|N,0> = A|0,N>

Where the ket's represent two joint fock states (i.e. two joint cavities) and A is the opeator I desire.

I thought that the beam splitter operator might perform this task with a proper selection of parameters, but I don't think it can.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
just destroy the 1st N, and then create the 2nd N... that's the operator...

That would be 2 different operators...

I.e.

A1|0,N> = |N,0>

A2 |N,0> = |0,N>

with A1 ≠ A2.

(Not what I looking for - see first post)

Edit:
It seems the beam splitter operator does do the trick with the right phase selected (pi/2), I was hoping I could set it to zero though so I missed that. Still, any alternatives would be nice to try.

Last edited:
Ah yes, sorry now I understand the question...
well due to the orthonormality of the states, you can have that only if A makes both states identical...
so I think there is not such operator.

The beam splitter operator does do the trick,

It basically expands the state out into a superposition of each possible combinations of the joint fock states, the problem I was having is that the weightings were different for each of the two input states. My expression was a bit complicated so I didn't immediately see that a phase of pi/2 produced the results I require, and I was kind of hoping for the phase to be zero.

I have had a number of alternative ideas, however, most are not so physical.

Related to Joint Number state switching operator?

1. What is a Joint Number state switching operator?

A Joint Number state switching operator is a mathematical operator used to switch between different states of a system that is described by a set of quantum numbers. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a system.

2. How does a Joint Number state switching operator work?

A Joint Number state switching operator works by acting on a state function of a system and producing a new state function. It does this by changing the quantum numbers associated with the system, which in turn changes the properties and behavior of the system.

3. What are the applications of Joint Number state switching operators?

Joint Number state switching operators are used in a variety of applications, including quantum computing, quantum information theory, and quantum chemistry. They are also used in the study of atomic and molecular systems and in the development of new materials and technologies.

4. How are Joint Number state switching operators different from other mathematical operators?

Joint Number state switching operators are unique in that they specifically act on quantum states, which are described by quantum numbers and follow the laws of quantum mechanics. They are different from other mathematical operators, such as addition and subtraction, which operate on classical states and follow the laws of classical mechanics.

5. Can Joint Number state switching operators be applied to all systems?

No, Joint Number state switching operators can only be applied to systems that are described by quantum numbers and follow the laws of quantum mechanics. They cannot be applied to classical systems, which are described by classical variables and follow the laws of classical mechanics.