Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Masters (online?)

In summary: Either way, I'd recommend checking it out if you're interested.In summary, this online Applied Physics Program from Johns Hopkins may be a good option for those wanting to learn Physics in a more theoretical way. However, the cost is high and it may be challenging for those not employed by Johns Hopkins.
Tone L
Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone out there in the PF community, themselves or knew someone who is working on a masters degree in Applied Physics, online, from Johns Hopkins.

I've never heard of upper level physics classes like the ones listed, being done online. Thoughts?

Likes manuphy
Physics news on Phys.org
Tone L said:
Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone out there in the PF community, themselves or knew someone who is working on a masters degree in Applied Physics, online, from Johns Hopkins.

I've never heard of upper level physics classes like the ones listed, being done online. Thoughts?
I am having the exact question that you asked above. I am wondering if you got any responses and that you were able to make a decision. Can you help me understand if this Applied Physics Program (Online) from JHU a good choice. I also find the fees a little on the higher side for an online program.

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Manu

It might be possible to search LinkedIn for physicists/engineers that have a Physics MS degree from John Hopkins. A little searching might reveal a handful of people that did the degree online. Then you could message them directly to ask about their experience. Just a thought since I do not have any first hand experience, but have considered trying a class for fun ;)

Likes Tone L and berkeman
manuphy said:
I am having the exact question that you asked above. I am wondering if you got any responses and that you were able to make a decision. Can you help me understand if this Applied Physics Program (Online) from JHU a good choice. I also find the fees a little on the higher side for an online program.

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Manu
Hey Manu,

So, I am local to JHU and have a friend from work who did it. He said it was quite good and he learned a lot. However, he also took some in person courses, in photonics, electronics, optics. However, the mathematics courses and more theoretical physics courses were fine online he said.
I have a friend currently in the program, he is saying it really isn't too challenging, he is doing space systems engineering online with them, not applied physics. He says its not that hard, which is shocking. However, he is employed by Johns Hopkins and works at the JHU Advanced Physics Lab (APL), so he gets tuition for free.
The cost of the program is really expensive, I think you must really think you'll benefit from the program to justify the cost...

Related to Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Masters (online?)

1. What is the curriculum like for the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Masters program?

The curriculum for the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Masters program is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in the principles and applications of physics. Courses cover a range of topics including mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and materials science. Students also have the opportunity to choose electives in areas such as biophysics, nanotechnology, and energy systems.

2. Is the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Masters program available online?

Yes, the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Masters program is available online. This allows for greater flexibility and accessibility for students who may not be able to attend classes on campus. The online program follows the same curriculum as the on-campus program and is taught by the same faculty members.

3. What are the admission requirements for the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Masters program?

To be considered for admission, applicants must have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, as well as a strong background in mathematics and science. GRE scores are not required, but applicants are encouraged to submit them. Letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and transcripts are also required.

4. Can students in the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Masters program participate in research?

Yes, students in the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Masters program have the opportunity to participate in research projects under the guidance of faculty members. This allows students to gain hands-on experience and develop their research skills. Additionally, students have the option to complete a thesis or a capstone project as part of their degree requirements.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Masters program?

Graduates of the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Masters program are well-equipped for a variety of careers in industries such as aerospace, defense, energy, and healthcare. They may also pursue further education in a PhD program or teaching positions. The skills and knowledge gained from this program can be applied to a wide range of fields, making graduates highly valuable in the job market.