John Prine dies from Coronavirus at 73

In summary: Steve's guitar work is amazing, and John's vocals are touching and heartfelt. This is a must watch for any Prine fan.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
  • Sad
Likes Oldman too, Spinnor, BWV and 1 other person
Science news on Phys.org
Wow, I just saw that in the news. He was a great singer song-writer and quite revered in Austin Tx.

Likes sysprog
Wow oh no I'm cryin' -- I know a bunch of his songs by heart -- I can sing and and play dozens of them -- aaah -- I got to see him perform in Milwaukee and at his high school in Chicago -- he will be sorely missed . . .
When I die let my ashes float down the Green River​
Let my soul roll on up to the Rochester dam​
I'll be halfway to Heaven with Paradise waitin'​
Just five miles away from wherever I am . . .​
I think I'll go out and, staying a decent distance away from people, perform some of his songs, like any old street busker, in his honor.

Last edited:
Likes Spinnor, pinball1970, hmmm27 and 2 others
"
jedishrfu said:
John was a song writing mailman before he became a star.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Prine
For about 5 years -- I went to his concert at his HS alma mater in Maywood, edge-on to Chicago -- he played for over an hour extra, as was not unusual for him, and I had to miss the end because I had to go to work. What a man.

Likes BillTre
He still sang well and heartily even while he was in recovery from esophageal cancer a few years ago.

Likes jedishrfu and BillTre
A song such that Mr. John Prine would probably not have disliked the idea of it being performed at his wake:

I think that in that performance the Clancy brothers and Tommy Makem, all of whom are now deceased, showed ironically in a good-hearted way, how much they, like John Prine, loved being alive.

Likes BillTre
John Prine and his dear friend Steve Goodman (Steve passed in 1984 from leukemia -- he was a great guitarist, singer, and songwriter (he wrote the song 'City of New Orleans' made famous by Arlo Guthrie)) performing John Prine's song 'Souvenirs':

Likes BillTre
Here is a NY Times obituary on Prine.
His music has been described variously as country, folk and other things. The obit mentions Americana which I like.

Here is a related article with recordings of 15 of his songs.
Here is one about organ donation (I work for an eyebank) which I had not noticed before:

Likes Spinnor and sysprog
BillTre said:
His music has been described variously as country, folk and other things.
My Dad once wryly called it "City & Western".

• Haha
Likes Klystron and BillTre
BillTre said:
John Prine died today at 73 from Coronavirus.
He wrote a bunch of great songs, such as:

Thanks, especially for that first video. That's John Burns with him. I saw John Prine just a couple times around Chicago in the 70's 80's, but I saw John Burns countless times in several bands (and he toured with Prine and is on some of his records). Not too mnay videos of John Burns. He's doing some nice picking there, and he could absolutely wail and country-pick on electric guitar.

John Burn's father is Jethro (Ken) Burns, from Homer and Jethro. That was a comedy/novelty duo, but Jethro is revered as a master mandolin (and guitar) player. Jethro and guitar great Chet Atkins married sisters, so Chet Atkins is John Burns uncle. John obviously picked up a lot from his Dad/Uncle. Jethro would appear with Steve Goodman from time to time, another Chicago great. And of course, Prine and Goodman (one video posted above)

I'm a big John Prine fan, been doing a lot of reminiscing lately, though honestly, one of his songs would pop into my head every few days. It's just a part of my life. I use the line in "Far From Me" every chance I get: "And a question ain't really a question, if you know the answer too".

RIP.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, BillTre and sysprog
Likes BillTre
Proof that someone can play the guitar better than I do:

Likes Mary Conrads Sanburn and BillTre
sysprog said:
John Prine and his dear friend Steve Goodman (Steve passed in 1984 from leukemia -- he was a great guitarist, singer, and songwriter (he wrote the song 'City of New Orleans' made famous by Arlo Guthrie)) performing John Prine's song 'Souvenirs':

John and Steve performed what is in my opinion the best version of "City of New Orleans' ever.

Likes sysprog

Likes sysprog

1. What is the cause of John Prine's death?

John Prine died from complications related to Coronavirus at the age of 73.

2. Was John Prine known to have any underlying health conditions?

John Prine had a history of health issues, including surviving cancer twice and having undergone heart surgery in 2019.

3. Did John Prine contract the virus while on tour?

It is unclear when or where John Prine contracted the virus, as he had been in quarantine since March 19th after experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.

4. Was John Prine hospitalized before his death?

John Prine was hospitalized on March 26th after his symptoms worsened and he was intubated on March 28th. He passed away on April 7th.

5. How is the music community reacting to John Prine's death?

The music community has been mourning the loss of John Prine, with many artists paying tribute to him and his impact on the industry. Fans have also been sharing their favorite songs and memories of him on social media.