John Tyler was US President 1841-45. His grandson just died.

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, John Tyler was the first US president to die in office and he was also the first of eight presidents from Ohio. He and William Henry Harrison's campaign slogan and song was "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too".
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Lyon Gardiner Tyler Jr. dies 175 years after his grandfather, John Tyler, left the White House (CNN.com)

John Tyler was William Henry Harrison's vice president. He became president when Harrison died a month after their inauguration in 1841, the first US president to die in office. Tyler was called "His Accidency" by his detractors.

There is still a younger surviving grandson, Harrison Ruffin Tyler, age 91.

This caught my eye partly because William Henry Harrison was the first of eight presidents from Ohio, my home state.

Harrison and Tyler's campaign slogan and song was "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too", referring to Harrison's victory against Native American forces in 1811 at the Battle of Tippecanoe near Lafayette, Indiana. Today, outside Lafayette on highway US-52, on one side of the road is the Tippecanoe Mall; on the other side is the Tyler Too Plaza.

tippecanoe&tylertoo2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Informative
Likes Ivan Seeking, Drakkith, jedishrfu and 5 others
Science news on Phys.org
I like the article quotes:

That someone in the 21st century could have a grandfather who knew Thomas Jefferson can be attributed to late-in-life paternity, second wives and longevity in his family: Three generations of Tyler men spanned an incredible 230 years.

and this one:

Susan Tyler said her father took the family's fame in stride.

"Dad used to be asked if he knew John Tyler. He would always reply, 'I'm not that old' and he would laugh. He had a great sense of humor."

Likes Astronuc
jedishrfu said:
. . . can be attributed to late-in-life paternity, second wives and longevity in his family: Three generations of Tyler men spanned an incredible 230 years.
And I thought my ancestors married late. My paternal grandfather was born in 1899 and died in 2003. His father, my great-grandfather was born in 1867. My g-g-grandfather was born in 1845.

Likes Ivan Seeking, jtbell and Drakkith
How the Battle of Tippecanoe Helped Win the White House (history.com)
In the end, the thousands of American who had voted for Tippecanoe ended up getting John Tyler, too—nearly four years of him. The former Virginia senator became the first vice president in history to succeed a deceased commander-in-chief, but his tenure was marred by squabbles with the Whigs, who eventually expelled him from the party. Harrison, meanwhile, has largely faded from popular memory. Along with his famous campaign slogan, his 32-day administration is perhaps best known for being the shortest in American history.

Related to John Tyler was US President 1841-45. His grandson just died.

1. Who was John Tyler?

John Tyler was the 10th President of the United States, serving from 1841 to 1845. He was the first Vice President to succeed to the presidency after the death of a sitting president, William Henry Harrison.

2. When did John Tyler serve as president?

John Tyler served as president from 1841 to 1845.

3. Who was John Tyler's grandson?

John Tyler's grandson was Lyon Gardiner Tyler Jr., the son of his son Lyon Gardiner Tyler Sr. and his wife Sue Ruffin.

4. When did John Tyler's grandson die?

Lyon Gardiner Tyler Jr. died on September 26, 2021 at the age of 95.

5. How is John Tyler's grandson related to him?

Lyon Gardiner Tyler Jr. was John Tyler's great-grandson, as he was the son of John Tyler's grandson, Lyon Gardiner Tyler Sr.

Back