Jobs that expose you to physics that don't require a degree

In summary, people can gain experience in a variety of jobs without a degree by simply going out into the world and experiencing things. Jobs that involve exposure to physics or making things are possible without a degree, but may require some supplemental skills or experience.
screamingman
Hello,

I am interested in information regarding jobs that involve exposure to physics, "interesting math", and/or that involve making things that don't require a math/physics/engineering degree.

me: I did dual enrollment in high school, plus one year of college in which I mostly took math/physics courses, and have continued to self study things after dropping out of school (for personal reasons not related to academic performance), so I have knowledge of math through most of strauss' pde text, worked through most of spivak etc., but only have knowledge of contents of a one year intro physics course, and only basic python knowledge...currently reading more about finite different methods and going to start reading about finite element methods.

Anyways, as said, I am interested in jobs that involve exposure to physics/"making things". A superficial level of exposure could be the custodial staff who maintain the physics buildings. I have been working in a hotel, but was looking at jobs at universities, or in construction, of that were remotely related to physics, when I was surprised to find the job listing by University of Arizona below. It seems to involve nontrivial physics, but doesn't require a college degree.

https://uacareers.com/postings/12372

https://uacareers.com/postings/8885

With both of these jobs, it mentions substitutes for a degree: "broadly diversified experience in a variety of positions involved with complex applied technology such as science projects, aerospace, nuclear power or sophisticated instruments" or "instrumentation fabrication, maintenance and repair experience".

I am wondering how people get this experience without a degree or connections, and concrete skills that can be learned to make myself an attractive candidate for positions such as these (or the positions that build up to these positions). An obvious one is improving my ability to program, but because programming isn't something that I enjoy--I appreciate the potential use of computers to assist in stuff I am interested in physics-wise though--I wish I knew more precisely what I should be learning in this area (I also have trouble with a computer related addiction, so I try to limit the amount I'm on them).

Another issue is that I really hesitate to do anything involved in military/defense, on ethical grounds (I think I'd be able to work in this industry if I had power over the assignments I was getting, but in an entry level position, I'd guess I have to take what I'm given and potentially have to work on technology I feel is wrong to work on).

Lastly, I want to be clear that this is not a "can you be a physicist without a physics degree?" question. It is "what supplemental roles can you occupy without a degree?" (and the skills you need to acquire to get these roles).

Physics news on Phys.org
All jobs involve some physics.
People can gain a broadly diversified experience as described without a degree simply by going into the World and experiencing stuff. Universities are not the fount of all knowledge.

You might look at jobs that need technicians or for industrial work on pilot plant programs. These types of jobs often need someone with some technical experience or will expose you to some engineering or physics.

Radiation therapy / nuclear medicine technologist

Related to Jobs that expose you to physics that don't require a degree

1. What types of jobs expose you to physics without requiring a degree?

There are several jobs that involve working with physics principles that do not necessarily require a degree. Some examples include laboratory technician, technical writer, computer programmer, and quality control inspector.

2. Is it possible to work with physics without having a formal education in the field?

Yes, it is possible to work with physics without a formal degree. Many employers value hands-on experience and skills in addition to education, so it is possible to gain employment in a physics-related field through on-the-job training or specialized courses.

3. What skills are important for jobs that involve physics without a degree?

Some important skills for jobs that involve physics without a degree include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, technical skills, and strong mathematical abilities. Employers also value communication and teamwork skills.

4. Are there any specific industries that offer jobs in physics without requiring a degree?

Yes, there are several industries that offer jobs in physics without requiring a degree. Some examples include manufacturing, research and development, aerospace, and healthcare. These industries often have a high demand for skilled workers in physics-related roles.

5. How can I gain experience in physics without a degree?

There are several ways to gain experience in physics without a degree. You can take courses or workshops in specific areas of physics, participate in internships or apprenticeships, or work on personal projects to build your skills and knowledge. Additionally, networking and seeking out mentorship opportunities can also help you gain experience in the field.