Jane Swings Upward: How High?

• Thread starter d.tran103
  • Start date
In summary, Jane can swing up to a maximum height of 1.5 meters above her starting point or 2.8 meters below the top of the vine. This calculation is based on the conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy at the bottom of the swing and back to potential energy at the release point. The equation used is 1/2*m*vi^2=m*g*hf, where Pe represents potential energy, Ke represents kinetic energy, m is the mass, vi is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and hf is the final height.
d.tran103

Homework Statement

Jane, looking for Tarzan, is running at top speed (5.5 m/s) and grabs a vine hanging 4.3 m vertically from a tall tree in the jungle. How high can she swing upward?

Homework Equations

Pe=mgh and Ke=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone tell me if I'm doing this correctly? I have one submission left.
So Pe becomes converted to Ke at the bottom of the swing. And then Ke at the bottom of the swing becomes converted back to Pe. Pe at release is 0 since the vine is hanging vertically. So I have Pe(initial)*0+Ke(initial)=Pe(final) or Ke(initial)=Pe(final)

1/2*m*vi^2=m*g*hf
1/2*vi^2=g*hf
1/2*5.5^2=9.8*hf
hf=1.54337 m.

Height swung upwards=hi-hf
h=4.3-1.54337=2.8 m

Is this correct? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well Jane will swing up to a point 1.5 m vertically above her start point. Or 2.8m below the top of the vine. So how high does she swing up?

Okay thanks. My first answer was 1.5 however, it wasn't accepted. I'm thinking that the logarithm is using some weird value for g? I'll just ask my professor. Thanks again

1. What is the purpose of the experiment "Jane Swings Upward: How High?"

The purpose of this experiment is to measure the height at which Jane's swing reaches when she pumps her legs at different rates.

2. How does the height of the swing relate to the rate at which Jane pumps her legs?

The height of the swing is directly proportional to the rate at which Jane pumps her legs. This means that the higher the rate of pumping, the higher the swing will go.

3. What variables were controlled in this experiment?

The variables that were controlled in this experiment include the length of the swing, the weight of Jane, and the starting angle of the swing.

4. How many trials were conducted in this experiment?

In order to ensure accuracy, at least 3 trials were conducted for each rate of pumping. This helps to eliminate any anomalies and provides more reliable data.

5. What were the conclusions drawn from this experiment?

The experiment concluded that the higher the rate of pumping, the higher the swing will go. It also showed that the angle of the swing and the weight of the person on the swing can affect the height reached, but the rate of pumping has the greatest impact on the height of the swing.