Height in conservation of energy problem

In summary, the conversation discusses an ice cube sliding in a horizontal pipe and its speed at the bottom of the circle. The problem is solved using the equation for conservation of energy, taking into account the height at the top of the circle. The correct answer is 2.3 m/s.
acaulkin

Homework Statement

A very Slippery ice cube slides in a vertical plane around the inside of a smooth, 20 cm diameter horizontal pipe. The ice cube's speed at the bottom of the circle is 3.0 m/s
Vi = 3.0 m/s
Height at top= 2(.20) = .40
Vf = ?

Homework Equations

KE(initial) + PE(initial) = KE(final) + PE(final)

The Attempt at a Solution

(1/2)mVi^2+0 =(1/2)mVf^2 + mgh
masses cancel out:
(1/2)Vi^2-gh = (1/2)Vf^2
Vi^2-2gh = Vf^2
sqrt(Vi^2-2gh) = Vf
Plugging in all my variables I get an answer of: 1.07 m/s
Answer should be: 2.3 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
acaulkin said:
A very Slippery ice cube slides in a vertical plane around the inside of a smooth, 20 cm diameter horizontal pipe.
[...]
Height at top= 2(.20) = .40
I can see one problem.

Likes acaulkin
jbriggs444 said:
I can see one problem.
Thank you very much!
Adjusting for this, I get the correct answer.

Check your "Height at top calculation".

Related to Height in conservation of energy problem

1. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How does height factor into conservation of energy problems?

In conservation of energy problems, height is often used as a measure of potential energy. The higher an object is located, the greater its potential energy. As the object falls, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.

3. What is the equation for calculating potential energy in a conservation of energy problem?

The equation for potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

4. Can height affect the total amount of energy in a system?

No, height does not affect the total amount of energy in a system. The total energy remains constant, but the distribution of energy between potential and kinetic energy may change as height changes.

5. How is the conservation of energy related to the concept of work?

The conservation of energy is closely related to the concept of work. Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one form to another. In a conservation of energy problem, work is done when energy is transferred from potential to kinetic or vice versa.