Izod Impact test Cross Sectional Area

In summary, the conversation is about determining the correct cross-sectional area for Izod impact tests on notched polymer specimens. The sample was loaded with the notch facing the direction of the pendulum and the dimensions of the specimen were provided. The individual is struggling with how the notch will affect the cross-sectional area and is seeking help and tips. It is also mentioned that these tests should be done in accordance with established testing standards. The expert surmises that the cross-sectional area at the apex of the notch is the remaining net cross-sectional area in the shear plane.
mazz1801

Homework Statement

Ok, so in a lab I was preforming Izod impact tests on notched polymer specimens.
To complete my calculations I need to determine the correct cross-sectional area to use (Which is baffling me as the simple things usually do)

The sample was loaded with the notch facing the direction of the pendulum.

Homework Equations

Width 12.97mm
Thickness 5.87mm
Length 62.61mm

And the Notch is 2mm deep at an angle of 45°

The Attempt at a Solution

So I haven't got far with my attempts at the problem because I'm liteally clueless at where to begin and how the notch will effect the cross sectional area. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get involved witht the actual impact testing method and analysis...I simply specify that such tests should be done (at the mill, if steel, which more typically uses Charpy V-notch testing) in accordance with established testing standards.
I would surmise that the cross section area at the apex of notch is the remaining (net) cross section area in the shear plane after removing the notch area. Make sure you calculate this correctly based on which face the notch is on.

Related to Izod Impact test Cross Sectional Area

What is the Izod Impact test Cross Sectional Area?

The Izod Impact test Cross Sectional Area is a measure of the impact strength or toughness of a material, particularly metals and polymers. It is calculated by dividing the maximum impact energy by the cross-sectional area of the tested sample.

Why is the Izod Impact test Cross Sectional Area important?

The Izod Impact test Cross Sectional Area is important because it helps determine the ability of a material to withstand sudden impact or shock without breaking or cracking. This is particularly useful for materials used in construction, manufacturing, and other industries where impact resistance is crucial.

How is the Izod Impact test Cross Sectional Area measured?

The Izod Impact test Cross Sectional Area is measured using a specialized machine called an Izod impact tester. The sample material is placed in the machine and struck with a pendulum, causing it to fracture. The energy absorbed by the sample is then measured and divided by the cross-sectional area to determine the impact strength.

What factors can affect the Izod Impact test Cross Sectional Area?

There are several factors that can affect the Izod Impact test Cross Sectional Area, including temperature, sample orientation, and notch depth. Higher temperatures can make a material more brittle and decrease its impact strength, while different orientations of the sample can produce varying results. The depth of the notch in the sample can also affect the results, as a deeper notch will weaken the material and decrease its impact strength.

Is the Izod Impact test Cross Sectional Area the only measure of impact strength?

No, the Izod Impact test Cross Sectional Area is one of several methods used to measure impact strength. Other methods include the Charpy Impact test and the Drop Weight Tear test. Each test measures impact strength in a different way and may be more suitable for certain materials or applications.